Pokémon?

Watch
sakura_23
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’ve seen many a Pokémon lover on TSR so why not start a Pokémon chat! Favourites, underrated ones, how you got into it, ride or die partners, go wild!
SnowMiku
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Moved to gaming as it fits better here

I personally have played no proper Pokemon games. Not even Pokemon Go
bambi1425
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
ive played pixelmon the most xD i love pachirisu (cause its so cute xD) i just like pokemon cause collecting them is the best xD
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I first got into it watching my older brothers play Pokemon Gold on an emulator, but the first one I played was probably Platinum. Or Sapphire.

In my time on TSR I've had 4 different Riolu avatars and 5 Lucario avatars.
Last edited by Sinnoh; 1 week ago
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
We used to have a pretty active PokeSoc on TSR, we organised tournaments and even had a gym league going for a little while :moon: I first played Red when it was released back in 98 and played pretty much every game since, these days I'll run through the first and second gen games on emulators a few times a year, usually speedrunning or a Nuzlocke run when I have long haul flights with work, but there's been none of those since COVID struck! It's just a shame SwSh was a massive letdown.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sakura_23)
I’ve seen many a Pokémon lover on TSR so why not start a Pokémon chat! Favourites, underrated ones, how you got into it, ride or die partners, go wild!
What about Tower of God? I messaged you to ask what you thought of my ToG picture but you never replied...
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Gofre)
We used to have a pretty active PokeSoc on TSR, we organised tournaments and even had a gym league going for a little while :moon: I first played Red when it was released back in 98 and played pretty much every game since, these days I'll run through the first and second gen games on emulators a few times a year, usually speedrunning or a Nuzlocke run when I have long haul flights with work, but there's been none of those since COVID struck! It's just a shame SwSh was a massive letdown.
I still haven't done a complete Nuzlocke :emo:
Furthest I got was getting wiped by Clay's ****ing Excadrill on White
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Did someone say pocket monsters?!
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Gen 1 is a nice easy starting point if you wanted to give it another go :yy: Gen 2 is either quite achievable or an utter nightmare, depending on whether you include beating Red in the challenge :ahee:
markovchain17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I used to be obsessed with pokemon when i was younger, still like it now as you can tell by my pfp 😂 just havent played the games anymore since ORAS. Dont really have a favourite ive always liked Magcargo tho nd used to have one on my team whenever i had the chance. Its pretty cool watching some of the speedruns of the game too
Legomenon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes, is the answer to your question.

Pokemon formed at least half of my childhood lol. I can't say I'm quite as booked up on it as I used to be - I know the first four generations very well but less so the next four - but I still play the main series games and mystery dungeons I miss pokemon ranger though

Oh and favourite pokemon is probably Salamence (but not the croissant kind ).
Legomenon
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by markovchain17)
I used to be obsessed with pokemon when i was younger, still like it now as you can tell by my pfp 😂 just havent played the games anymore since ORAS. Dont really have a favourite ive always liked Magcargo tho nd used to have one on my team whenever i had the chance. Its pretty cool watching some of the speedruns of the game too
"I'll use my frying pan... as a drying pan!"
Legomenon
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
If it makes you feel better I've also failed every nuzlocke I've ever tried, and the last one I attempted was also White (2?) where I lost in spectacular fashion to a Dunsparce who swept my entire team with rollout.
sakura_23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
What about Tower of God? I messaged you to ask what you thought of my ToG picture but you never replied...
Omg, I didn’t get your message for some reason... love it tho 😈
sakura_23
Rep:
?
Anyone got ops on Sword and Shield? I have the Pokémon edition switch, and let’s go eevee, but heard about all the expansions and extra parts and was put off a little bit... also the Pokémon to me don’t feel like Pokémon anymore, anyone else feel like that?
markovchain17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Legomenon)
"I'll use my frying pan... as a drying pan!"
Nothing beats a jelly-filled doughnut!
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Anyone got ops on Sword and Shield? I have the Pokémon edition switch, and let’s go eevee, but heard about all the expansions and extra parts and was put off a little bit... also the Pokémon to me don’t feel like Pokémon anymore, anyone else feel like that?
These were my thoughts from when it initially came out, I've not bothered with the DLC yet;

I'm briefly coming out of TSR retirement to air my thoughts on the game as an avid player since gen 1. I've just completed the main story line, becoming champion at almost 19 hours of play time exactly, that's with stopping to catch every new species I encountered and no grinding at all. Overall it's been an enjoyable but occasionally frustrating experience.

Good stuff:

* The new Pokémon are probably my favourite new batch since fourth gen. They're mostly interesting and well designed, and nothing feels like filler or novelty after a few years of ice creams and trash bags.

* I'm as disappointed as everyone else by Dexit, but the Pokédex they've put together has plenty of variety as well as being well distributed geographically. It's nice to be able to move through so many areas with very few repeated Pokémon straight from the starter town.

* The region is pretty cool, even if the graphics are embarrassingly dated compared to other Switch titles. The art direction is generally pretty stellar across the board, it's a region that's fun and interesting to explore.

* The score is good enough that I played the entire game with the volume on while most games in the series usually get 20 minutes before being muted. Some of the music is really well done.

* They've not f*cked with the core battling gameplay and mechanics that we know and love. It's still Pokémon, and it's still fun.

Middling stuff:

* Only three legendaries feels stingy. They've definitely gone overboard in precious generations so reigning that in is fine, but it would have been nice to have at least a handful more to flesh out the postgame, even if it was just a legendary trio. There's more previous gen legendaries coded into the game that will obviously be distributed at a later date, but they're not going to add new gameplay outside of changing the multiplayer meta.

* The wild area is a good concept that will hopefully be fleshed out in future iterations, hopefully with more variety in ecosystems rather than just being 90% field and then just changing the weather every so often.

* It feels like a good first "core" game of the generation to draw new players further into the franchise after being introduced to it by Let's Go

* The story is relatively interesting

Bad stuff:

* The game is painfully linear. Outside of the wild area there is virtually no scope for exploration. Pokémon has never exactly been known for its richly detailed side quests, but this game has almost nothing of substance besides the main quest.

* Balancing the difficulty of games like this is, well, difficult, but the game is painfully easy thanks to two of the big carry-overs from Let's Go- exp for catching Pokémon and permanent exp share. Nobody wants to grind for hours on end anymore like you've had to do in previous generations and other JRPGs, but I was able to comfortably beat the game without doing anything but the bare minimum of battles. Just by catching new species of Pokémon, beating all gym trainers and beating trainers blocking the path, I was only about 5 levels below the champion's Pokémon.

* Compounding the ease of the game is that the AI is hot garbage, worse than anything I can remember facing previously in this series. I'm not expecting strategic masterminds but there is no way I should be seeing opponents using Ground moves on Flying types or Normal moves on Ghost types. And yet I did on a regular basis.

* The group of "rivals" were obnoxiously obtrusive. Pushing narrative is one thing, but this was handholding to the point of absurdity with cutscenes almost every 20 minutes for the entirety of the game.

* Dynamaxing is a waste of time, usable only in only a minute number of scenarios and for such a short period of time. Given that it almost never surfaces until one player is on their last Pokémon, at which point both players typically do it simultaneously, it has almost no impact on gameplay. They sacrificed megaevolution, one of the best mechanics to be introduced for several generations and with huge scope continual expansion, so that Game Freak could introduce this half baked mess of a concept (I'm less upset about the death of Z moves). Apparently the competitive meta is an absolute sh*tshow because of it too.

* I can live with the disappointment of Dexit, but it's a d*ck move for GF to lie about why they did it. Just admit you wanted to try culling the Dex for whatever their reasons were rather than obvious lies about time/manpower constraints when you're obviously reusing old models.
Legomenon
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by markovchain17)
Nothing beats a jelly-filled doughnut!
*proceeds to eat something that is clearly not a jelly-filled doughnut*
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A chat about the pokemon games is always appreciated here! :yes:

I can remember as if it happened yesterday: I thought my friends were kidding me and recommended to play pokemon! a RPG! I refused, because firstly I preferred to play Jump and Run and secondly the gameplay looked so ridiculous that I was not interested in. One day I changed my mind and tested the blue edition out - and since this moment I like it: the rest is history: in retrospective, the pokemon games count to one of my favourites...
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I first played pokemon around 98/99 on my brothers gameboy

I was absolutely blown away. Some kid started selling pirate copies in school for £1 on floppy disc for pc [no idea how he got them]. I bought one, it actually worked.... but i longed to have it on gameboy ... so saved up my pennies and bought it

ruby and sapphire was about the time where i stopped keeping up with releases.

unfortunately i couldn't watch much of the tv show when i was a kid as by time i got home from school it was finished.

crazy to think how Ash Ketchum is in his 30's now [or should be]
They really need to update the cartoon. He's been a 10 year old boy for well over 20 yrs..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (184)
38.25%
Take autumn exams (148)
30.77%
Look for a job (16)
3.33%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.37%
Take a year out (84)
17.46%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed