vyper47
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Greetings!

I'm taking math, physics and chemistry as usual, in one series this november. I was wondering, in order to make a competitive application, I might take 4.

Taking further maths full A level will be too much pressure. So, should I take only an AS qualification in further maths? I.e. 3 A levels and 1 AS level?

I want to apply to UBC, UToronto, McGill etc. I just wanna make sure my application is competitive. Is taking the extra AS level worth it?
EierVonSatan
Badges: 21
Report 5 months ago
What are you planning on studying at university?
vyper47
Rep:
?
The Further Pure Math 1 and Further Mechanics seems easy. I somewhat struggle in paper 5 of the usual Math (probability and statistics 1), so I know for sure that taking Further Statistics would be troublesome. So considering the AS level only.....
vyper47
Rep:
?
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
What are you planning on studying at university?
My "dream" is doing a double major in Math and Chemistry. I'll prefer Chemistry tho
EierVonSatan
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by vyper47)
My "dream" is doing a double major in Math and Chemistry. I'll prefer Chemistry tho
Then I suggest you take double maths and see how it goes, you can take it as a fourth full A-level if you find it managable. It's not uncommon for people to take it as a fourth
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
My daughter did the same a'levels to get in for a physics degree for 2020 start. The first term of year 12 was full on with the FM. She was not sure whether or not to drop it. I advised her to keep on at it to the end to get her AS and see how she felt after that. She got a B in the AS for the Further Maths and so she decided to keep on for the full A'level. She glad shes done it now (she was still predicted a B before covid came about) so yes its worth going for and sticking to the AS level, then make a decision August 2021 if you want to carry it on.

If its for a Physics/Economics/Engineering degree the FM is worth it
vyper47
Rep:
?
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
Then I suggest you take double maths and see how it goes, you can take it as a fourth full A-level if you find it managable. It's not uncommon for people to take it as a fourth
(Original post by Ghostlady)
My daughter did the same a'levels to get in for a physics degree for 2020 start. The first term of year 12 was full on with the FM. She was not sure whether or not to drop it. I advised her to keep on at it to the end to get her AS and see how she felt after that. She got a B in the AS for the Further Maths and so she decided to keep on for the full A'level. She glad shes done it now (she was still predicted a B before covid came about) so yes its worth going for and sticking to the AS level, then make a decision August 2021 if you want to carry it on.

If its for a Physics/Economics/Engineering degree the FM is worth it
I hate to say this, but I have only 2 months for prep . I'm taking them as a PRIVATE CANDIDATE. I actually belong to an alternate curriculum (national). Now the usual Math seems really easy. I'm confident I'll get A* in it.

I really have to struggle in Further Statistics part. I was wondering, should I take my usual 3 A levels, and take the FM only up to AS level? I might then opt for an A there. Or should I just take the 3?

Canada applications are in January 2021, and I'll take them in November this year
Last edited by vyper47; 5 months ago
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by vyper47)
I hate to say this, but I have only 2 months for prep . I'm taking them as a PRIVATE CANDIDATE. I actually belong to an alternate curriculum (national). Now the usual Math seems really easy. I'm confident I'll get A* in it.

I really have to struggle in Further Statistics part. I was wondering, should I take my usual 3 A levels, and take the FM only up to AS level? I might then opt for an A there. Or should I just take the 3?

Canada applications are in January 2021, and I'll take them in November this year
Take the FM up to AS.
My daughter didnt get on with network flow. I think most people have a weak topic, but that's ok, its worth a shot just to get the AS And if your uni course does have some further math elements like vectors, matrices, calculus etc you have a bit of a head start in undergrad
vyper47
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ghostlady)
Take the FM up to AS.
My daughter didnt get on with network flow. I think most people have a weak topic, but that's ok, its worth a shot just to get the AS And if your uni course does have some further math elements like vectors, matrices, calculus etc you have a bit of a head start in undergrad
Thank you very much! I've decided to take the other 3 full A levels, and FM up to AS level. If I get in with that, that's of course fine! And even if they hold me on a conditional offer, I still have more than 6 months to prep for it

AS level FM contains only 2 papers, which is way less stressful than learning the weird statistics things in Further Statistics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (416)
56.52%
I don't have everything I need (320)
43.48%

Watched Threads