Do most school study all a level math in year 12 and then further math in year 13

Watch
Sweet Heart bab
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
hh
RaA64
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
At our school we’re doing a combination of both in year 12 and 13
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It varies.

The school I went to did one after the other.

The school I teach at now does them combined with 6 hours a week teaching time for each. This is mainly due to options, and also has made it easier for students who are struggling to drop down to just normal maths - apparently the department found that when they ran 1 year Maths and 1 year Further Maths that students who dropped down from Further halfway through Year 12 were actually severely behind because they'd learned everything so fast and not absorbed any of it.
Sweet Heart bab
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by bluebeetle)
It varies.

The school I went to did one after the other.

The school I teach at now does them combined with 6 hours a week teaching time for each. This is mainly due to options, and also has made it easier for students who are struggling to drop down to just normal maths - apparently the department found that when they ran 1 year Maths and 1 year Further Maths that students who dropped down from Further halfway through Year 12 were actually severely behind because they'd learned everything so fast and not absorbed any of it.
For ocr chem what does chem a and chem b means?
Horny4Maths
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
At our school we did them both from the start . I thought it was a good system, altho I think there was a fair share of planning and back n forth between teachers to make it work. Still, it was surprising how much stuff in Further Maths didn't really rely on anything we did in Maths - even complicated stuff like Matrices.
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Sweet Heart bab)
For ocr chem what does chem a and chem b means?
They're two different courses run by the same exam board

I did both maths and further maths in Y12 (and will do for Y13 too)
Becca216
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
My college did all of alevel maths in Y12 and then Further in Y13

At the end of Y12 my college lets you chose to do either a full alevel in further or just an AS
griffin17
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
We do them both at the same time - it works most of the time, apart from when we finished the Further Year 1 content too early and then started Further Stats before we'd done any of regular Stats
CurryCurry2468
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Sweet Heart bab)
hh
It depends on the timetabling at the school i guess. Some schools chose to teach math and FM in parallel in the first and second year, some choose to do all of a level math in year 12 and FM in year 13...
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
in parallel
MalcolmX
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
no. some do AS Maths and AS Further Maths in lower sixth then A-Level Maths and A-Level Further Maths in upper sixth.
15Characters...
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
My sixth form did it in parallel.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
As people have said, it varies. Some universities (particularly but not exclusively for Medicine) make offers based on 3 A levels taken at the same time, meaning that students who have then Maths in Y12 and then FM in Y13 are required to get the same grade in FM that a student taking only 3 A levels (i.e. not the FM) would have had to get in Maths
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Mine did it subsequently. I think that's the better option. We didn't take A-level maths early though.
thegeek888
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Pure 1, Pure 2, Applied Maths for Single Maths and Core Pure 1, Core Pure, Further Mechanics 1 and Further Decision 1 all next year at the end at some point in 2021 depending on the coronavirus news. lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
27.76%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.41%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.53%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.65%
No - I live at home during term anyway (78)
29.66%

Watched Threads