What was the state of Alexander I's popularity after defeating Napoleon?

Watch
GillisRobbieWGS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I need help with my Russian History Coursework. I have checked Google scholar for books and academic papers on this question but I can't find anything useful.
The full essay question that I am answering is "To what extent was the failure to carry out meaningful reform responsible for the downfall of the tsar"
Anyone have any info or any books they could recommend or any tips on research methods?
Cheers in advance
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by GillisRobbieWGS)
I need help with my Russian History Coursework. I have checked Google scholar for books and academic papers on this question but I can't find anything useful.
The full essay question that I am answering is "To what extent was the failure to carry out meaningful reform responsible for the downfall of the tsar"
Anyone have any info or any books they could recommend or any tips on research methods?
Cheers in advance
This is A level?
I thought he died of typhoid having become something of a religious zealot and paranoid with MH issues? Definitely Alex 1?
GillisRobbieWGS
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
This is A level?
I thought he died of typhoid having become something of a religious zealot and paranoid with MH issues? Definitely Alex 1?
This is for A Level course work. I think he died of typhoid. I know that Alex II was assassinated by terrorists and Alex III died of kidney inflammation. I'm asking about whether he was popular in Russia after he beat Napoleon because he declared war on France after arranging peace five years previously and then Napoleon made it to Moscow but Alexander refused to negotiate and then the french all froze or starved and then the Russians were able to march on Paris or something like that, it's an independent research project so I'm still doing quite a bit of my reading for it.
I did read something about him trying to reform religion...
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I think he died of typhoid... I'm asking about whether he was popular in Russia after he beat Napoleon...
But your essay title is about his "downfall". How can dying of typhoid be interpreted as a "downfall"?
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_I_of_Russia
A good few paragraphs post 1815 to get you started?
GillisRobbieWGS
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
But your essay title is about his "downfall". How can dying of typhoid be interpreted as a "downfall"?
I'm not talking about his death though
the question I asked was whether he was popular at the point where he defeated Napoleon and what that meant in terms of how it impacted the downfall of the Tsar in 1917
GillisRobbieWGS
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_I_of_Russia
A good few paragraphs post 1815 to get you started?
a good suggestion but my teacher said if we want the top marks then we are to avoid wikipedia like the plague
cheers though
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
the question I asked was whether he was popular at the point where he defeated Napoleon and what that meant in terms of how it impacted the downfall of the Tsar in 1917
Ah! It's becoming slightly clearer! The Tsar whose downfall you refer to in your question isn't Alexander I, but Nicholas II.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
a good suggestion but my teacher said if we want the top marks then we are to avoid wikipedia like the plague
cheers though
You've got to start somewhere. Pick out some of topics mentioned and do your research about those.
GillisRobbieWGS
Rep:
?
Ah! It's becoming slightly clearer! The Tsar whose downfall you refer to in your question isn't Alexander I, but Nicholas II.
yeah! I need to start at Alexander I first though because the coursework requires that I cover the period 1801-1917
basically, this post is asking what did Alexander I do that had an influence on Nicholas II downfall 116 years after his coronation
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
yeah! I need to start at Alexander I first though because the coursework requires that I cover the period 1801-1917
basically, this post is asking what did Alexander I do that had an influence on Nicholas II downfall 116 years after his coronation
In that case, his popularity for defeating Napoleon is probably irrelevant.

Focus on his domestic policy.

Would your question be better worded as "...the downfall of Tsardom"?
GillisRobbieWGS
Rep:
?
In that case, his popularity for defeating Napoleon is probably irrelevant.

Focus on his domestic policy.

Would your question be better worded as "...the downfall of Tsardom"?
Do you know what, you actually have the exact words to the question
I worded the question wrong in the first place.
My teachers DO actually want me to answer "... the collapse of Tsarism"
Anyway

I'll have a look at his domestic policy
Cheers
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Do you know what, you actually have the exact words to the question
I worded the question wrong in the first place.
My teachers DO actually want me to answer "... the collapse of Tsarism"
Anyway

I'll have a look at his domestic policy
Cheers
That makes a lot more sense. Always, always check the precise wording of a question! 😀
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (256)
56.89%
I don't have everything I need (194)
43.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise