Norus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have recently been accepted into a PGCE primary course and want to prep as much as possible for but I don’t know where to begin! I have had lots of experience in primary schools before and am currently tutoring part time but despite my experience I know that actually training to be a teacher will be very different so any advice would be amazing!

What type of stuff should I start looking to buy/prepare? What type of stationary, clothes, equipment, books etc do I need? Are there books I should start reading? Any general advice?

Thank you!
Advertisement
bluebeetle
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My general advice would be to not overdo it on the preparation, as it's very easy to prepare the wrong thing and waste a bit of time that you should be spending relaxing before what is sure to be an intense year.

That being said, I would make sure you have:
- a decent looking bag that is good for transporting around A4 sized items
- a four colour pen (will likely see a lot of use)
- a sturdy pencil case
- comfortable but appropriate clothes (I'd advise not going overboard on this until you feel like you have a good grasp of what is appropriate attire, just get enough to last a week)
- comfy shoes!!
- something for storing papers (ringbinder folder, expanding folder, whatever you prefer)

If you are going to prepare anything reading-wise, I would recommend focusing on subject knowledge. Think of any subjects that are weak spots for you and brush up on those. You'll have plenty of time on your PGCE to learn about the pedagogical stuff.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Norus)
I have recently been accepted into a PGCE primary course and want to prep as much as possible for but I don’t know where to begin! I have had lots of experience in primary schools before and am currently tutoring part time but despite my experience I know that actually training to be a teacher will be very different so any advice would be amazing!

What type of stuff should I start looking to buy/prepare? What type of stationary, clothes, equipment, books etc do I need? Are there books I should start reading? Any general advice?

Thank you!
Honestly, I wouldn't over-prepare this summer. It's the last real break you will have until next summer, so if you have some free time just enjoy it! You will have enough reading/work to do on your own time next year!

In terms of buying, if you don't have much in the way of "work clothes" then this would be a good thing to look for. I agree about not buying too much until you're in school, though. Definitely some comfortable, smart shoes, some smart tops, work trousers etc. Remember, for primary you may be kneeling/bending down a lot, so anything you buy needs to work with this! Make sure everything is comfortable and easy to wash. You may also need some sportswear for PE, as well, and a good coat in case you have to do any break/lunch duties in the rain!

In terms of stationery- I really like stationery, and you probably don't need everything on this list:

-Notebook for uni and notebook for school.
-Coloured pens (get a range of colours so you can match in with your school's crazy marking policy).
-Some nice board pens.
-Highlighters
-Post its.
-Folders to store loose paperwork
-Calculator
-External hard drive (some schools are funny about these, but it's still good to have somewhere to back up all your uni work, and if you can use one to nick all your placement school's resources, that is great!)
-Paperclips/bulldog clips.
-Water bottle
-Covered/travel mug

Everything else I would probably wait until you are in school and can see what you need.
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise