The Student Room Group

a level textiles or a level DT?

hi im unsure whether i want to take either a levels. i know i want to take a creative a level but i cant decide between the two. i have taken DT for GCSE but i like the sound of textiles and fashion however im concerned if my drawing is good enough.
any help would be appreciated :smile:
Check what the procedure is at your sixth form / college for swapping A-levels a couple of weeks into the year. Many will allow this, and if you're genuinely not sure, you could always do a week or two of textiles and then swap if you realise you don't actually like it.

Alternatively, you can check out Youtube videos where people show their work completed over the year for textiles or DT and see what seems more like what you'd enjoy doing (though keep in mind often the people showing off their work are exceptional A* students).

If you're still not sure, I'd say it tends to be better to stick with what you know you like.
My careers advisor said to me that if you can't turn out dresses really fast on a sewing machine then you will really struggle with textiles. however she could have been wrong.

I think, from looking at starter college work there is a lot of drawing like photography and graphics would have but i am unsure of if it matters that much.

The college i'm going to has very good pass rates (most are at 100% or 95%) and tectiles is the only course where the pass rate is below 90% at 82% so i think its definitely a specialized subject.

however, if you are good at sewing and you love it, then it may be perfect for you. I would find out which one has more work at the start personally and take that one so that if you want to swap you will have less to catch up on.

but ultimately go with your heart!
Honestly it just comes down to personal choice and which you think you would enjoy (and therefore get a higher grade) more :smile:
The actual structure of the courses are quite similar, in year 13 both PD and textiles do a personal final project and have to produce a portfolio alongside that. It is just down to you whether you would prefer to make the product with a sewing machine or using a DT workshop :yep:
For both you will need to draw design ideas but you dont have to be good at art per se, just have some ability to formulate your ideas into sketches. You arent marked on the artistic ability (although obviously the nicer you can make them the better) its more about how you communicate your ideas

Quick Reply