Is Boris Johnson ruining the UK?

Watch
Forever_Alone
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
What's your opinion on him? I thought he was fine at first, but now I'm not too sure.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Forever_Alone)
What's your opinion on him? I thought he was fine at first, but now I'm not too sure.
I am inclined to say yes.
Brightonmama
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
His tardy response to Covid. Brexit. It speaks for itself
Forever_Alone
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Brightonmama)
His tardy response to Covid. Brexit. It speaks for itself
Personally I thought Brexit was a good thing, it was the only way to get rid of all those chuffing immigrants.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I always thought he was a total liability and scumbag, but it's the UK's fault for cheering him on and voting for him. He's just a symptom.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Personally I thought Brexit was a good thing, it was the only way to get rid of all those chuffing immigrants.
Would that be those chuffing immigrants proping up our NHS or chuffing immigrants coming in increasing number by inflatable dinghy?
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't like the guy, but the idea that he is somehow responsible for Covid-19 or its effects is utter rubbish. In the early weeks, we had virtually no idea what we were dealing with, in later weeks we had to deal with the limitations of our public services in delivering interventions like testing and distributing equipment. All in all, the NHS coped surprisingly well.

Ultimately the Prime Minister has to govern, while everyone else gets the luxury of being armchair commentators and pretending that reading a few opinion pieces in the newspapers makes them a bloody expert on public policy.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by L i b)
Ultimately the Prime Minister has to govern, while everyone else gets the luxury of being armchair commentators and pretending that reading a few opinion pieces in the newspapers makes them a bloody expert on public policy.
A recurring complaint about the man is he is simply workshy and doesn't do his job, kind of puts armchair commentators in a different light IMO.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
:rolleyes:
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by L i b)
I don't like the guy, but the idea that he is somehow responsible for Covid-19 or its effects is utter rubbish. In the early weeks, we had virtually no idea what we were dealing with, in later weeks we had to deal with the limitations of our public services in delivering interventions like testing and distributing equipment. All in all, the NHS coped surprisingly well.

Restrictions on large gatherings should have been introduced at least a week earlier, and SAGE recommended the 'lockdown' restrictions a week before they were introduced. If these had been acted upon in time, then there would have been fewer deaths, even if things such as pub closures had been three or four days earlier. The weekend before the introduction of 'lockdown' saw people heading to the seaside and parks in large numbers not socially distancing, and no doubt many visits to care homes.

The centralised way that he runs the government makes him very much the 'controlling mind' and responsible.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by L i b)

How so? It is literally his job to take responsibility for governmental **** ups (the convention of ministerial responsibility being a self explanatory point here) and no sane person can suggest the governments response to this was good. Maybe not awful but certainly not good.

As to the second bit though, what about those who actually are experts in public policy who have lambasted the government flip flops on the matter? From policy advisers/analysts onwards.
Kitten in boots
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by L i b)

You are doing that remarkably British thing of excusing failure.

Other countries have had significantly better outcomes to the coronations pandemic to date. Japan, Korea and Germany for instance. By comparison, Johnson floundered, was indecisive and made poor decisions. British people have paid with their lives.

It is also likely his decisions will result in the economy being hit harder and our public finances being in a far more precarious state.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Kitten in boots)

Other countries have had significantly better outcomes to the coronations pandemic to date. Japan, Korea and Germany for instance. By comparison, Johnson floundered, was indecisive and made poor decisions. British people have paid with their lives.

It is also likely his decisions will result in the economy being hit harder and our public finances being in a far more precarious state.
I don't excuse failure so perhaps I must be British in name only.
LaPregunta
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Kitten in boots)

Since when was excusin failure a British thing? Rather mean thing to say.

You can compare the UK with as many countries as you wish, but you are ignorin differences in culture, politics, economics, and government.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (31)
18.9%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (49)
29.88%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (84)
51.22%

Watched Threads