Hoc est Bellum
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi everyone,

So I am going to finish my apprenticeship next year and one of the placements I had previously been in said that they liked me and wanted to have me for my final placement.

They said if I did well in the placement they would offer me an 'electronics technician' position that pays £27,000-£30,000 pa and will fund a hnc then a hnd.

I am also interviewing for a software degree apprenticeship at a large oil company that has first year pay of £20,250 pa and finish on £30,000 on the 4th year. They will fund a full bachelor's in digital and technology solutions with OU (if I get the offer). This would also require me to move out in which I don't want to do as it is about 2 hours away from home (will just have turned 18).

Can you please help me with chosing between these options. I would prefer to do software engineering as a career but I am not sure about the future potential of this role.

I know I haven't had the second offer yet but if I do get it, I won't have long to choose as I need to give 4 weeks notice to my employer to leave.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You have to weigh it up and choose - following your heart. The electronics technician roles seems pretty good to me, the salary is great! Once you’re in and making a difference you can likely progress to a degree.
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Hoc est Bellum)
Hi everyone,

So I am going to finish my apprenticeship next year and one of the placements I had previously been in said that they liked me and wanted to have me for my final placement.

They said if I did well in the placement they would offer me an 'electronics technician' position that pays £27,000-£30,000 pa and will fund a hnc then a hnd.

I am also interviewing for a software degree apprenticeship at a large oil company that has first year pay of £20,250 pa and finish on £30,000 on the 4th year. They will fund a full bachelor's in digital and technology solutions with OU (if I get the offer). This would also require me to move out in which I don't want to do as it is about 2 hours away from home (will just have turned 18).

Can you please help me with chosing between these options. I would prefer to do software engineering as a career but I am not sure about the future potential of this role.

I know I haven't had the second offer yet but if I do get it, I won't have long to choose as I need to give 4 weeks notice to my employer to leave.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Those are both great optiions.

As above, you need to weigh it up based on your personal circumstances. What's most important to you - qualifications, wage, experience, industry prospects etc.? What's the future progression like in the electronics technician role you are being offered? Could you get that experience under your belt whilst looking at software apprenticeships/roles that are in different fields or closer to home?

I'd be happy to brainstorm/discuss if you ever want to drop me a PM
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (179)
58.88%
No they should not (90)
29.61%
Abstain (35)
11.51%

Watched Threads