The Student Room Group

A-Level Spanish Grammar Revision Tips?

Currently studying Spanish at A-Level (going into 2nd year) but struggling to stay on top of grammatical revision. Anyone have any techniques and tips. Any help is appreciated :smile:
I used HelloTalk (app) to improve my grammar in French, since chatting to native speakers means that you get to practice using the grammar in lots of spontaneous situations, and so get corrected as and when you need it! It's more relaxed that dedicated grammar learning, too, and I find that it gets stuff into my head more. Another trick is to watch youtube in Spanish with the subtitles on in Spanish, and then take down examples of grammatical structures and vocab that you don't know. Revision guides can also be helpful - I have the Complete French Grammar by Heminway, and I think they do a Spanish one too.

(Just finished Y13 + hoping to do langs at uni next year)
Original post by lozleah
Currently studying Spanish at A-Level (going into 2nd year) but struggling to stay on top of grammatical revision. Anyone have any techniques and tips. Any help is appreciated :smile:

Hi,

I commented somewhere in the forum about this in several different posts so here it is all put together! So here’s what I’d do this summer to revise my grammar:

1. Go through the grammar corrections your teacher has made for your homework, assessments and any mocks you've taken. I find that a lot of my students make the same mistakes again and again, I call these 'default mistakes' and therefore if you can recognise them and be aware of them, you'll stop yourself from making the same mistakes in the next academic year. Students typically make mistakes with gender agreement, collective nouns, pronouns and syntax (word order).

2. When you find dentist side where you typically make mistakes, it's worth adding them to Quizlet and/or record flashcards so that you can 'swipe and learn'. I follow a rule called EEE = Explanation + Examples + Exercises. This makes it visually easier to learn.

3. Past papers - have a look through the past exam papers so you know what to expect in the final exam. It's worth looking at the examiners' comments in the mark scheme see you know what to watch out for.

4. There are some great verb and grammar drill books on Amazon. Plus you have all the answers in the back and it’s a great way for you to be practising independently, especially during the summer.

Also, I recently created a video on transitioning from GCSE to A level Spanish (it can also be applied to other languages tbh) - check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_847f3x5csQ

Hope that helps!!

Drew
Reply 3
Original post by MyLanguageLab
Hi,

I commented somewhere in the forum about this in several different posts so here it is all put together! So here’s what I’d do this summer to revise my grammar:

1. Go through the grammar corrections your teacher has made for your homework, assessments and any mocks you've taken. I find that a lot of my students make the same mistakes again and again, I call these 'default mistakes' and therefore if you can recognise them and be aware of them, you'll stop yourself from making the same mistakes in the next academic year. Students typically make mistakes with gender agreement, collective nouns, pronouns and syntax (word order).

2. When you find dentist side where you typically make mistakes, it's worth adding them to Quizlet and/or record flashcards so that you can 'swipe and learn'. I follow a rule called EEE = Explanation + Examples + Exercises. This makes it visually easier to learn.

3. Past papers - have a look through the past exam papers so you know what to expect in the final exam. It's worth looking at the examiners' comments in the mark scheme see you know what to watch out for.

4. There are some great verb and grammar drill books on Amazon. Plus you have all the answers in the back and it’s a great way for you to be practising independently, especially during the summer.

Also, I recently created a video on transitioning from GCSE to A level Spanish (it can also be applied to other languages tbh) - check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_847f3x5csQ

Hope that helps!!

Drew

Thank you so much! We'll use these techniques! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by redmeercat
I used HelloTalk (app) to improve my grammar in French, since chatting to native speakers means that you get to practice using the grammar in lots of spontaneous situations, and so get corrected as and when you need it! It's more relaxed that dedicated grammar learning, too, and I find that it gets stuff into my head more. Another trick is to watch youtube in Spanish with the subtitles on in Spanish, and then take down examples of grammatical structures and vocab that you don't know. Revision guides can also be helpful - I have the Complete French Grammar by Heminway, and I think they do a Spanish one too.

(Just finished Y13 + hoping to do langs at uni next year)

Thank you so much for your help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest