Mazda 6 or BMW for first car?

Watch
DaHamz
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello guys , I'm 18 and im currently browsing for my first car, I have 2 main options

1. 2015 Mazda 6 - 88k miles - 2.6k insurance - 6k car
2. 2016 BMW 5 series - 57K miles - 3.5k insurance - 9k car

what would be the better option? im leaning towards the mazda as I like the added safety auto brake feature which is suppose to prevent accidents.
Hnjbghj
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Go for the Mazda bro, essentially whatever makes yu happy x😊
gjustme
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think the BMW if you have the money the milage is lower even tho its a year older and if its legit decent then it will last longer.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So you have £12,500? Save it as a deposit for a house, or have a smaller debt post university.
Karisa96
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Go for the Mazda, the BMW, 5, series is in my opinion to bigger a car for a first time driver.
Just my personal opinion.
bluewolf21
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If I were to choose for myself, it'd be the Mazda for the lower insurance(though I will point out that you should probably aim to find one with lower mileage) , but as someone who isn't a massive expert in cars(I'm waiting until I'm out of uni to even learn how to drive), I'd say you should probably get something smaller and/or cheaper.
RaA64
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You’re an idiot mate if you buy one of those cars as your first cars - buy a small but newer car as your first car - just my opinion though
DaHamz
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by RaA64)
You’re an idiot mate if you buy one of those cars as your first cars - buy a small but newer car as your first car - just my opinion though
surely a slightly bigger car will not impact the chances of a crash?
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DaHamz)
surely a slightly bigger car will not impact the chances of a crash?
Of course it does, the roads and tight spaces don't swell to match your car and you'll be inexperienced. Your margin of error will now be filled with 'car'.
TheDE
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
When you hit 25 you'll wish you saved the money.
TajwarC
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Paying attention while you drive is the best way to prevent accidents... Not saying there's no need for auto braking at all, but it's not a feature that I could personally justify the cost of on a *first* car
aviatoruk
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello guys , I'm 18 and im currently browsing for my first car, I have 2 main options

what would be the better option? im leaning towards the mazda as I like the added safety auto brake feature which is suppose to prevent accidents.
Are you sure about the Beemer? The very cheapest 2015 ish one is £7k with 180k miles, sounds a bit like that'll be dog eared...
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Get something less powerful - those insurance costs are ridiculous.
TajwarC
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by aviatoruk)
Are you sure about the Beemer? The very cheapest 2015 ish one is £7k with 180k miles, sounds a bit like that'll be dog eared...
Yeah 2016 with <60k miles are £12k minimum. £9k defo looking closer to if not above 100k miles, which even then isn't bad if the car was taken care of. Maybe a CAT N
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Personally, I'd go for something older (and smaller) with fewer miles (at least than the Mazda6). Your fist car should be more disposable, IMO.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Here, can we get a forum plug in that simply autoresponds in a slightly hostile manner to all threads with the terms 'First' & 'BMW' in the title'?
CarMad
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I mean if you have the money for these, then that's great but there are several options that I would consider first for a first car.

£3.5K on insurance?? Think that after a year it will still probably over 2.5K, it's so much money for something that isn't even an asset. Think that after 3 years, you'd have spent 9K on the car and 8K on insurance and at the end of it have a car that'll be worth 3K at best. That's costing you 14K for 3 yars of driving, plus fuel.

Definetly consider a smaller car with a smaller engine. You can still have a nice small car with a nice spec.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (34)
17.89%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (53)
27.89%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (103)
54.21%

Watched Threads