The Student Room Group

Mazda 6 or BMW for first car?

Hello guys , I'm 18 and im currently browsing for my first car, I have 2 main options

1. 2015 Mazda 6 - 88k miles - 2.6k insurance - 6k car
2. 2016 BMW 5 series - 57K miles - 3.5k insurance - 9k car

what would be the better option? im leaning towards the mazda as I like the added safety auto brake feature which is suppose to prevent accidents.
Reply 1
Go for the Mazda bro, essentially whatever makes yu happy x😊
Reply 2
I think the BMW if you have the money the milage is lower even tho its a year older and if its legit decent then it will last longer.
So you have £12,500? Save it as a deposit for a house, or have a smaller debt post university.
Go for the Mazda, the BMW, 5, series is in my opinion to bigger a car for a first time driver.
Just my personal opinion.
Reply 5
surely a slightly bigger car will not impact the chances of a crash?
Original post by DaHamz
surely a slightly bigger car will not impact the chances of a crash?

Of course it does, the roads and tight spaces don't swell to match your car and you'll be inexperienced. Your margin of error will now be filled with 'car'.
Reply 7
When you hit 25 you'll wish you saved the money.
Reply 8
Paying attention while you drive is the best way to prevent accidents... Not saying there's no need for auto braking at all, but it's not a feature that I could personally justify the cost of on a *first* car
Original post by DaHamz
Hello guys , I'm 18 and im currently browsing for my first car, I have 2 main options

what would be the better option? im leaning towards the mazda as I like the added safety auto brake feature which is suppose to prevent accidents.

Are you sure about the Beemer? The very cheapest 2015 ish one is £7k with 180k miles, sounds a bit like that'll be dog eared...
Original post by DaHamz

Get something less powerful - those insurance costs are ridiculous.
Original post by aviatoruk
Are you sure about the Beemer? The very cheapest 2015 ish one is £7k with 180k miles, sounds a bit like that'll be dog eared...

Yeah 2016 with <60k miles are £12k minimum. £9k defo looking closer to if not above 100k miles, which even then isn't bad if the car was taken care of. Maybe a CAT N
Original post by DaHamz

Personally, I'd go for something older (and smaller) with fewer miles (at least than the Mazda6). Your fist car should be more disposable, IMO.
(Here, can we get a forum plug in that simply autoresponds in a slightly hostile manner to all threads with the terms 'First' & 'BMW' in the title'? :tongue:
Reply 14
I mean if you have the money for these, then that's great but there are several options that I would consider first for a first car.

£3.5K on insurance?? Think that after a year it will still probably over 2.5K, it's so much money for something that isn't even an asset. Think that after 3 years, you'd have spent 9K on the car and 8K on insurance and at the end of it have a car that'll be worth 3K at best. That's costing you 14K for 3 yars of driving, plus fuel.

Definetly consider a smaller car with a smaller engine. You can still have a nice small car with a nice spec.

Quick Reply

Latest