Calling all law students/solicitors (I need some advice)

Watch
Joy L
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Due to covid19 many schools that have hand-dryers in the toilets have told pupils to instead bring their own towel in their bag to dry their hands on.

Surely any germs still on their hands (if the child doesn't wash them properly) or just germs in general will cling to the damp towel.

The child is then expected to put this towel back in their bag damp with all their books, textbooks etc. Teachers will then be expected to mark these books which have been in a bag with a damp and possibly germ-infested/contaminated towel.

Is there any sort of legal point I can make/raise to my local school about this matter as I am concerned about how sanitary the whole situation will be
Kessler`
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Joy L)
Due to covid19 many schools that have hand-dryers in the toilets have told pupils to instead bring their own towel in their bag to dry their hands on.

Surely any germs still on their hands (if the child doesn't wash them properly) or just germs in general will cling to the damp towel.

The child is then expected to put this towel back in their bag damp with all their books, textbooks etc. Teachers will then be expected to mark these books which have been in a bag with a damp and possibly germ-infested/contaminated towel.

Is there any sort of legal point I can make/raise to my local school about this matter as I am concerned about how sanitary the whole situation will be
Well, I'll stick my ha'p'orth in! I think the best way to do it is to combine a veiled threat with an earnest and concerned tone. Speak to a member of the SMT, preferably putting it in writing, noting the potential hazard that is created by the situation, then saying something like "I really don't want to cause trouble, but I am concerned that the school may be at risk if someone does contract COVID and it is linked to the exposure caused by the use of these towels. I worry that it is likely to be seen as putting teachers - and perhaps other students - at unneccessary risk and the school could be held legally responsible for someone having contracted their illness because they have breached their duty of care towards staff. Just like anyone else, teachers are entitled to be provided with a safe working environment! I've brought this to you straight away because I'm confident that the school will have the right response, but if I don't hear anything more then I'll also raise the question with the Union".

That has three nice punches: the 'duty of care' is a phrase that immediately sets any lawyer/HR/Management bod's ears to alert mode, the 'safe working environment' is another easily recognisable phrase that causes alarm and brings about the whiff of a claim, and then the final threat to involve the teacher's union makes it clear that you are not just going to go away - but at the same time have the school's best interests at heart because you haven't gone straight to causing a ruckus with the Union!

That's how I would play it anyway!
Joy L
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Kessler`)
Well, I'll stick my ha'p'orth in! I think the best way to do it is to combine a veiled threat with an earnest and concerned tone. Speak to a member of the SMT, preferably putting it in writing, noting the potential hazard that is created by the situation, then saying something like "I really don't want to cause trouble, but I am concerned that the school may be at risk if someone does contract COVID and it is linked to the exposure caused by the use of these towels. I worry that it is likely to be seen as putting teachers - and perhaps other students - at unneccessary risk and the school could be held legally responsible for someone having contracted their illness because they have breached their duty of care towards staff. Just like anyone else, teachers are entitled to be provided with a safe working environment! I've brought this to you straight away because I'm confident that the school will have the right response, but if I don't hear anything more then I'll also raise the question with the Union".

That has three nice punches: the 'duty of care' is a phrase that immediately sets any lawyer/HR/Management bod's ears to alert mode, the 'safe working environment' is another easily recognisable phrase that causes alarm and brings about the whiff of a claim, and then the final threat to involve the teacher's union makes it clear that you are not just going to go away - but at the same time have the school's best interests at heart because you haven't gone straight to causing a ruckus with the Union!

That's how I would play it anyway!
Thank you ever so much for your help. That seems an incredibly polite yet forceful tone. Thanks so much, ws struggling with what I could say to them as at the end of the day I wanted to convey my point but didn't want to be fired!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (180)
24.69%
Better than expected (147)
20.16%
Worse than expected (402)
55.14%

Watched Threads