What are some good "auto-braking" cars?

Watch
DaHamz
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Okay so I recently started browsing for a first car and I had 2 main options in mind (mazda 6.bmw 5) however I have realised these cars may be a bit big for a first car.

I would like a car with auto braking purely as a "just in case" and I feel it would be useful for a new driver.

I have a max budget of around £13k for insurance and the car ofcourse but I would like to spend around £10k if possible so I can invest the rest
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DaHamz)
Okay so I recently started browsing for a first car and I had 2 main options in mind (mazda 6.bmw 5) however I have realised these cars may be a bit big for a first car.

I would like a car with auto braking purely as a "just in case" and I feel it would be useful for a new driver.

I have a max budget of around £13k for insurance and the car ofcourse but I would like to spend around £10k if possible so I can invest the rest
Presumably you mean some sort of collision avoidance system, in which case, a Golf post late 2013 would fit the bill.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DaHamz)

Have you ever drove a car with autobraking? (I mean for a decent time like hours/days, not a quick shot)

I haven't, but it just sounds like a gimmick, I'd rather control the car myself and such a feature certainly wouldn't be on my radar in general, Glib, but I'd say what's useful for a new driver is being alert and actually learning to drive rather than relying on labour saving gimmicks.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Have you ever drove a car with autobraking? (I mean for a decent time like hours/days, not a quick shot)

I haven't, but it just sounds like a gimmick, I'd rather control the car myself and such a feature certainly wouldn't be on my radar in general, Glib, but I'd say what's useful for a new driver is being alert and actually learning to drive rather than relying on labour saving gimmicks.
It's not something you notice until a collision becomes probable.

There's been a few times where mine has reacted faster than I have. Quite impressive!

Reduces my insurance premiums too!
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
It's not something you notice until a collision becomes probable.

There's been a few times where mine has reacted faster than I have. Quite impressive!

Reduces my insurance premiums too!
Fair, would you consider it a must have?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Fair, would you consider it a must have?
I could live without it, but I'd certainly let it influence my future buying decisions.

I was looking at S3s recently and the biggest turn off I had was how rare the front radar was on them. At the time, I could only find two on AutoTrader that had one!
DaHamz
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago

I have never driven a car with it but I don't think I coud test it without risking something so I don't think it's fair to judge it unless it has failed you when you failed to brake manually,if that makes sense.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The only vehicle I've driven on the road with it fitted is a 2020 DAF LF. It autobraked for me when I didn't want it to and was otherwise in control of the situation (car slowing in front of me to turn off, I knew that at my current speed it would have left the road by the time I got to it, the truck decided that it was an emergency event and slammed on) - not that impressed with it. The lane departure warning is a nightmare as well - very loud white noise blasted from the speakers along with a buzzer. LDW gets turned off instantly as it gets set off constantly when driving a lorry on country lanes and A-roads
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (141)
37.2%
Take autumn exams (120)
31.66%
Look for a job (12)
3.17%
Consider an apprenticeship (16)
4.22%
Take a year out (67)
17.68%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
6.07%

Watched Threads