Dododododo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi everyone,I'm going into year 10 this year and was wondering if anyone had any advice, particularly about anything I might benefit from buying, and what I should expect? I'll be taking
Maths
English lang
English lit
Bio
Chem
Physics
French
Religious Studies
Computer Science
Music
I'm super excited to study French so I've kind of already got a good start on that, and am learning vocabulary and revising structures so I can start the year on a good foot. I'm a bit worried about sciences, will they be a big jump? How should I conduct myself? Should I drop my extracurriculars to study? How do i prepare for GCSEs, just take notes and study them?

Bonne journee/have a good day everyone
Last edited by Dododododo; 1 week ago
effystonem123
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Same - I absolutely love languages. I did french and spanish at gcses and it was so easy. I didn't even have to revise for my exams and I could just focus on the harder subjects. If you're good at french, then that's one less subject to worry about. Triple science and double science have a big gap between the two. I was in top set for most of year 10 and 11, but then I switched to double at the last minute. Don't worry though, science's aren't hard as long as you have a good teacher. If you need help with science, go on youtube and watch "sciencewithhazel". She literally SAVED me in mocks (not exams because they were cancelled). All I did was watch her videos and take notes, and I got an 8 in physics, 7 in chemistry and a 6 in biology. I don't think you'll need to drop extracurriculars, as GCSEs really aren't that bad. Take it easy in year 10 and just have fun! Spend your summer revising a bit because Year 11 is when things get kind of serious. I didn't do anything for the whole of year 10 until mocks came in year 11, and I'm okay!
Broque_
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
General advice:
- Don't stress too much. First of all, you're only going into Year 10, it isn't that stressful and you have tons of time to consolidate your knowledge. There is no reason to ever shed a tear for a gcse. On that same note, take it nice and slow, don't rush into studying and end up burning yourself out. School is a marathon, not a race.
- Focus in lesson. It plays an important part. It's a lot easier to learn a topic in a classroom than hunched up on your desk at home.
- Be realistic. Don't just write notes for the sake of writing notes. They'll be useless and a waste of time. You don't need to start properly revising until year 11 at the earliest. Just spend year 10 learning.
- No, do not drop your extracurriculars to revise. The contrary, live your life and have fun, don't let all that scaremongering from teachers get to you because most of it is gibberish.
- Take mocks seriously. I think everyone in Y11 and Y13 knows that pain now. They are "important"-ish, they help you and your teacher in the long run.

Science:
- No, it isn't that big of a jump. Some topics can be hard to grasp at first, but that's what teachers are for, and a lot of things taught in KS3 come up. At least focus a little in the science lessons though, it'll help you a lot when you end up coming back to it in a year or so and have no clue what you are looking at when you open your book.

Maths:
- Always ask your teacher if you don't understand anything, you won't magically understand it later by yourself.

Not much to say for the rest, listen to your teacher, focus in your lessons and it'll work out in the end. Not much prep to do for your GCSEs I would say. Have a few black pens and highlighters and you're set
Dododododo
Rep:
?
(Original post by effystonem123)
Triple science and double science have a big gap between the two. I was in top set for most of year 10 and 11, but then I switched to double at the last minute. Don't worry though, science's aren't hard as long as you have a good teacher.
Thanks for the advice - seems like you were very similar to me lmao. I don't know if I'm supposed to know this already, but what's the difference between triple and double sciences? What do they actually mean?
Dododododo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Broque_)
General advice:
- Don't stress too much. First of all, you're only going into Year 10, it isn't that stressful and you have tons of time to consolidate your knowledge. There is no reason to ever shed a tear for a gcse. On that same note, take it nice and slow, don't rush into studying and end up burning yourself out. School is a marathon, not a race.
- Focus in lesson. It plays an important part. It's a lot easier to learn a topic in a classroom than hunched up on your desk at home.
- Be realistic. Don't just write notes for the sake of writing notes. They'll be useless and a waste of time. You don't need to start properly revising until year 11 at the earliest. Just spend year 10 learning.
- No, do not drop your extracurriculars to revise. The contrary, live your life and have fun, don't let all that scaremongering from teachers get to you because most of it is gibberish.
- Take mocks seriously. I think everyone in Y11 and Y13 knows that pain now. They are "important"-ish, they help you and your teacher in the long run.

Science:
- No, it isn't that big of a jump. Some topics can be hard to grasp at first, but that's what teachers are for, and a lot of things taught in KS3 come up. At least focus a little in the science lessons though, it'll help you a lot when you end up coming back to it in a year or so and have no clue what you are looking at when you open your book.

Maths:
- Always ask your teacher if you don't understand anything, you won't magically understand it later by yourself.

Not much to say for the rest, listen to your teacher, focus in your lessons and it'll work out in the end. Not much prep to do for your GCSEs I would say. Have a few black pens and highlighters and you're set
Thank you so much - this is so helpful! Note to self: chill but also pay attention and sort things out as they arrive.
effystonem123
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Dododododo)
Thanks for the advice - seems like you were very similar to me lmao. I don't know if I'm supposed to know this already, but what's the difference between triple and double sciences? What do they actually mean?
The double award means you get 2 science GCSEs, whereas in triple award you get 3 separate GCSEs for chemistry, biology and physics.

In double you sit 2/3 of the papers that make triple award, so you’d miss out the most complex topics. I did both during my GCSE years, so I know that double is a lot easier than triple. Ultimately, I switched because I knew I didn’t want to do science as an A-level and universities don’t care if you did double or triple science, and it gave me more time to focus on other subjects. (plus you finish your exams earlier!!)

Doing double award doesn’t stop you from taking science as an A-level, but if you’re planning to then take triple.
Dododododo
Rep:
?
(Original post by effystonem123)
The double award means you get 2 science GCSEs, whereas in triple award you get 3 separate GCSEs for chemistry, biology and physics.

In double you sit 2/3 of the papers that make triple award, so you’d miss out the most complex topics. I did both during my GCSE years, so I know that double is a lot easier than triple. Ultimately, I switched because I knew I didn’t want to do science as an A-level and universities don’t care if you did double or triple science, and it gave me more time to focus on other subjects. (plus you finish your exams earlier!!)

Doing double award doesn’t stop you from taking science as an A-level, but if you’re planning to then take triple.
Ahh, right okay. Thank you!
ShadowKing132
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Dododododo)
Hi everyone,I'm going into year 10 this year and was wondering if anyone had any advice, particularly about anything I might benefit from buying, and what I should expect? I'll be taking
Maths
English lang
English lit
Bio
Chem
Physics
French
Religious Studies
Computer Science
Music
I'm super excited to study French so I've kind of already got a good start on that, and am learning vocabulary and revising structures so I can start the year on a good foot. I'm a bit worried about sciences, will they be a big jump? How should I conduct myself? Should I drop my extracurriculars to study? How do i prepare for GCSEs, just take notes and study them?

Bonne journee/have a good day everyone
If you need any help, just ask- i am predicted all 9s
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (130)
37.25%
Take autumn exams (107)
30.66%
Look for a job (11)
3.15%
Consider an apprenticeship (13)
3.72%
Take a year out (66)
18.91%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (22)
6.3%

Watched Threads