[Golden Thread] How has lockdown changed your role?

Watch
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
This is a golden thread. Join in with this discussion before 20th August 2020 to be in with a chance of winning an Amazon Voucher!! The more you post, the higher your chance of winning :yep: But remember not to spam or your post will be removed :nope:

Lockdown has meant many changes for everyone, and for a lot of us work has been one of the things most changed. Whether it be changing to work from home, being furloughed, or having a big change in role, very few jobs have stayed the same.

But what has changed for you personally? And do you think your role will eventually go back to 'normal?

Here's the list of 2020 golden threads:

Golden ThreadsWhat will you miss about lockdown?
Sum up 2020 so far in a gif/meme
What would you change your TSR username to, and why?
If you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?
What do you think the world will look like in 5 years time?
If you were president for the day, what rule would you enforce?
What did you accomplish during lockdown?
How has lockdown changed your role?
What's the most useful thing you learnt at school?
Design a sandwich for 8472 to eat
How has lockdown changed your exercise regime?
Last edited by Lemur14; 1 week ago
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Working and studying from home. It will be a long time before I can go into work again, or in for my studies again as both places have quite a small area and far too many people, with only one entrance for entering and exiting.

When things go back to normal, (when we can go back into the building) it will be a different normal we will probably have to get used to.

Also been difficult to find another job in the area I want when many of the current staff have now either been laid off or furloughed.
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nothing, I'm a postgrad student. I work from home, in my pjs, eating pizza, not showering and avoid people. That was pre-covid...
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have gone from being a data analyst to a sometimes architect, sometimes health and safety consultant. It isn't outside the realm of my expertise but H&S is ****ing boring.

Once the NHS get back to their mostly normal work my workload will return with hopefully more than before.
Becca216
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Pre-lockdown I used to do all of my college work at college (I would stay in the library after my classes until I had it all done). Lockdown has meant I have had to do all my work from home which is driving me crazy.....once lockdown is fully lifted I will appreciate being able to go to the library so much more.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Role-wise nothing has changed, I'm still an undergraduate student (due to go into my second year in late September). Since March (basically when lockdown started), I've been studying from home for the whole of the summer term and have been doing a lot of video calls for seminars, interviews and other business really. Have also edited all my lecture notes for my first year.

If lockdown has changed anything, I suppose it has made me reflect deeply on life and not to take things for granted. I've also reflected on my first year at university and although we didn't get an official grade due to the cancellation of our outstanding assessments, I would have probably got a high 2:1 (this is based from an average mark of all the assessments I did) which I'd be happy with. Grades aside though, I do regret not joining more societies and visiting touristy places in York like the National Railway Museum but that's something I could fix in my second and third year (and possibly subsequent years if I decide to study for a MA at York).
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
my role as a student will be much more focussed on studying and that is definitely what I need in my final year :yy:
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not having the same amount of support from teachers as I used to. Even though A-Levels are very independent, many students have been neglected by their teachers. :cry2:
RaA64
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It’s given me a chance to reflect on myself and improve myself as a person - I’m even more self-driven than I was previously and spending more time raising awareness on important human rights issues to people of my age.

My friends have stopped messaging me, but it’s all good, so when everything goes back to “normal” and they start messaging me asking for help, there’ll be no replies you know.

GGG
gabostrk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I became more self-sufficient. I hope it will stay as it is.. but who knows?
Last edited by gabostrk; 1 week ago
bambi1425
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
at work: we are basically cleaners who serve food and drinks
jemima0103
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I definitely feel like I've actually become more confident.
It's also gonna be a lot more scary and maybe more difficult getting a job.
I just want to succeed in my final year of sixth form
jemima0103
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Role-wise nothing has changed, I'm still an undergraduate student (due to go into my second year in late September). Since March (basically when lockdown started), I've been studying from home for the whole of the summer term and have been doing a lot of video calls for seminars, interviews and other business really. Have also edited all my lecture notes for my first year.

If lockdown has changed anything, I suppose it has made me reflect deeply on life and not to take things for granted. I've also reflected on my first year at university and although we didn't get an official grade due to the cancellation of our outstanding assessments, I would have probably got a high 2:1 (this is based from an average mark of all the assessments I did) which I'd be happy with. Grades aside though, I do regret not joining more societies and visiting touristy places in York like the National Railway Museum but that's something I could fix in my second and third year (and possibly subsequent years if I decide to study for a MA at York).
I love the National Railway Museum. When I lived in York when I was a child, my Mum worked there, and it was and probably still is one of my favourite places
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I am really glad to say that it did not change for the worse: I did not get fired and the salary wasn't reduced. That is the best what in times of covid-19 could have happened to me.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I have always worked from home with my current job. I am a freelance writer/editor/proofreader, getting my work from PeoplePerHour.com but mostly working for a few long term clients.

In theory, my job shouldn't have changed, as I can still work from home, but the problem is the long term clients I worked for stopped working. They took a hit because they build websites for business customers and businesses aren't in a position to be spending money on things like that at the moment. So if they have no websites to build, I have no content to write.

I've found it very challenging to find work, and haven't completed any projects at all for a couple of weeks now. I also normally get a lot of assignment proofreading work at this time of year, which just hasn't materialised. I don't know why, but something in home learning has shifted people's views on assignments, and I'm not getting them through anymore. I believe this also to be partially because everyone registered on the site was trying to find work at the same time, as their full time job may not have been possible, so they were doing that - making it very difficult for the full timers like me, as they could undercut massively as they were getting money from furlough as well.

I am getting the government self employed grant, which is a life saver, and my partner and I are redoing the whole of our house (which was supposed to happen when it was bought but we just didn't have the time - now we do!) so I am making the most of the free time.

I will admit that I am scared for my career, as I don't know which of the companies I work freelance for will survive this period.

My partner and I have also been building up a new business over lockdown which involves selling on Amazon FBA, and we've reached the point where we can make £600/month profit from it. It's a start but nowhere near what I was earning before, so we will carry on trying to build that up, but basically if things don't pick up soon I will be in a very difficult position.
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
i was very lucky. My finance role got moved into a Company Secretary role (dealing with shareholders etc) when I decided to go back to Univerity and do a law degree.

And its still the same, I just do calls with the board of Directors on my bed (other half gets the desk) . Do not miss commuting.

University next term will be odd, tutorials in particular will suffer as no clear etiquette yet on whether you are picked on to speak by the tutor, you just speak or you raise your hand to speak. I do my zoom calls with video on always but so many blank screens. Towards the end of last term i was very conscious i was speaking more than my share. BUT i'd always wait for someone else to speak first (and raise hand so can be called if needed). Felt awkward.
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
I have always worked from home with my current job. I am a freelance writer/editor/proofreader, getting my work from PeoplePerHour.com but mostly working for a few long term clients.

In theory, my job shouldn't have changed, as I can still work from home, but the problem is the long term clients I worked for stopped working. They took a hit because they build websites for business customers and businesses aren't in a position to be spending money on things like that at the moment. So if they have no websites to build, I have no content to write.

I've found it very challenging to find work, and haven't completed any projects at all for a couple of weeks now. I also normally get a lot of assignment proofreading work at this time of year, which just hasn't materialised. I don't know why, but something in home learning has shifted people's views on assignments, and I'm not getting them through anymore. I believe this also to be partially because everyone registered on the site was trying to find work at the same time, as their full time job may not have been possible, so they were doing that - making it very difficult for the full timers like me, as they could undercut massively as they were getting money from furlough as well.

I am getting the government self employed grant, which is a life saver, and my partner and I are redoing the whole of our house (which was supposed to happen when it was bought but we just didn't have the time - now we do!) so I am making the most of the free time.

I will admit that I am scared for my career, as I don't know which of the companies I work freelance for will survive this period.

My partner and I have also been building up a new business over lockdown which involves selling on Amazon FBA, and we've reached the point where we can make £600/month profit from it. It's a start but nowhere near what I was earning before, so we will carry on trying to build that up, but basically if things don't pick up soon I will be in a very difficult position.
That does seem like a tricky position to be in. It is good that you have managed ti build up something else. Hopefully things turn out well for you in terms of yoyr job. Maybe try to use this time to start looking elsewhere just in case, you never know, you could get lucky.
It's nice you have managed to start doing up your house!
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by SoulfulTwist)
That does seem like a tricky position to be in. It is good that you have managed ti build up something else. Hopefully things turn out well for you in terms of yoyr job. Maybe try to use this time to start looking elsewhere just in case, you never know, you could get lucky.
It's nice you have managed to start doing up your house!
I think things will turn out okay, I just think this period is really uncertain for everyone.
One of the main reasons I went down the self employment route was because I struggle a lot with anxiety, and I don't think I'd cope with a job where I had to stick to specific hours or only got certain time off .. because some days I wake up and feel awful, and right now I can counter that by having an extra couple of hours in bed, or taking slightly less work on and going to the gym instead. Basically I've built up a career that I can cope with because I don't think I could cope with regular work, but I also never want to be a burden on anyone else. So looking elsewhere is a bit difficult, as I don't think I'd ever find an employer understanding enough. I've always been really pleased with myself that I'd built this business up, working from home, taking time off when I need to (not that often, but more often than an employer would appreciate) and earning more than most of my friends who went and got jobs after their degree! So it annoys me that this pandemic might have brought an end to it .. so I'll keep fighting for it until there's literally no point doing so anymore!!
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
I think things will turn out okay, I just think this period is really uncertain for everyone.
One of the main reasons I went down the self employment route was because I struggle a lot with anxiety, and I don't think I'd cope with a job where I had to stick to specific hours or only got certain time off .. because some days I wake up and feel awful, and right now I can counter that by having an extra couple of hours in bed, or taking slightly less work on and going to the gym instead. Basically I've built up a career that I can cope with because I don't think I could cope with regular work, but I also never want to be a burden on anyone else. So looking elsewhere is a bit difficult, as I don't think I'd ever find an employer understanding enough. I've always been really pleased with myself that I'd built this business up, working from home, taking time off when I need to (not that often, but more often than an employer would appreciate) and earning more than most of my friends who went and got jobs after their degree! So it annoys me that this pandemic might have brought an end to it .. so I'll keep fighting for it until there's literally no point doing so anymore!!
I understand that about anxiety.
Myself I started to look for a job in the sector I wanted to go in but found out that a lot of people had been laid off and they weren't wanting another employee. But if the pandemic had not happened, I would have a job in that sector now. Still, I'll keep looking in case
route255
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I just finished my degree , was successful on getting a job that was to start in September but the programme has been cancelled. Now looking for a a job and applied for Universal credit , not heard back on that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (3)
13.04%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (7)
30.43%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (13)
56.52%

Watched Threads