username5186778
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I understand how to do equations where the coefficient of x^2 is not 1, as well as normal quadratic equations. I do not know how to factorise equations where the number on the end is also squared. An explanation would be appreciated.
Name:  Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 22.59.30.png
Views: 25
Size:  5.2 KB
jemima0103
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Factor 2x2+13xy+15y2
2x2+13xy+15y2
=(2x+3y)(x+5y)
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The factorised identity would just be in the form (ax + by)(cx + dy), so I think you can just use the standard method
Legomenon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The most important thing to note here is that it can still be viewed as a quadratic in x, i.e. something like ax^2+bx+c if you view y as a constant.

So factorising as you usually do for single-variable quadratics, you would want something like (2x+p)(x+q) where p and q multiply to give 15y^2 (with the cross term as well). As noted above, you will find that the natural choices p=5y and q=3y work. But the lesson to take away here is to always try to relate new problems to ones you already know how to solve.
Last edited by Legomenon; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
13.89%
I need help researching courses (5)
6.94%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.56%
I need help with my personal statement (30)
41.67%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (18)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.78%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.17%

Watched Threads