What can I do now to improve my chances of becoming a diplomat?

Watch
JessD3333
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi there, I am 16 and I would really like to be a diplomatic service officer when I am older through the civil service fast stream.

I am aware that you need a degree to enter the scheme, but does anyone have any suggestions of other things I can be doing now to improve my prospects, like work experience, skills needed and how to develop them etc.?
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi! I'm going to be starting the Fast Stream soon. I'm going to be on the Generalist scheme, rather than the Diplomatic, but I can give some advice about the fast stream application process.

In order to get onto the Diplomatic FS, you have to pass multiple stages:
- Online tests 1
- Online tests 2
- Video Interview
- Assessment Centre
- Diplomatic final selection board

At the video interview, you will be asked questions about times when you've demonstrated and developed the Civil Service behaviours.

These are:
- Leadership
- Delivering at pace
- Communicating and influencing
- Working together
- Developing self & others
- Managing a quality service

This document explains what these behaviours mean (focus on the HEO level, as that's the level at which a fast streamer enters the C.S.)
https://assets.publishing.service.go...iours_2018.pdf

My advice to you would be - when you get to university, focus on getting a broad range of experiences alongside your studies. Get involved in societies and volunteering opportunities; take on a summer job in the holidays after first and second year. And as you're engaging in these opportunities, think about the C.S. behaviours, and how you're demonstrating them. Write down examples of particular occasions when you've exemplified them.

For example, for 'developing self & others', you could volunteer with a charity such as IntoUniversity or DebateMate that mentors/coaches primary & secondary school pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds.

For working together, you could join the committee for a society and work to plan and execute an event.
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Just FYI, for a video interview, the majority of your examples should be recent (from the last two years). So what you're doing now while you're still a sixth former is less relevant. It wouldn't be good if you spent the whole video interview talking about things you did at school - they care much more about your time at uni (or in pre or post-uni employment, as not everyone goes straight from uni to the FS).
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
Marry into a dictatorship.
Become very rich and buy your way in.
Take command of the army and stage a coup or invade another country.
Declare independence from your bedroom and become a sovereign state.
JessD3333
Rep:
?
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
Hi! I'm going to be starting the Fast Stream soon. I'm going to be on the Generalist scheme, rather than the Diplomatic, but I can give some advice about the fast stream application process.

In order to get onto the Diplomatic FS, you have to pass multiple stages:
- Online tests 1
- Online tests 2
- Video Interview
- Assessment Centre
- Diplomatic final selection board

At the video interview, you will be asked questions about times when you've demonstrated and developed the Civil Service behaviours.

These are:
- Leadership
- Delivering at pace
- Communicating and influencing
- Working together
- Developing self & others
- Managing a quality service

This document explains what these behaviours mean (focus on the HEO level, as that's the level at which a fast streamer enters the C.S.)
https://assets.publishing.service.go...iours_2018.pdf

My advice to you would be - when you get to university, focus on getting a broad range of experiences alongside your studies. Get involved in societies and volunteering opportunities; take on a summer job in the holidays after first and second year. And as you're engaging in these opportunities, think about the C.S. behaviours, and how you're demonstrating them. Write down examples of particular occasions when you've exemplified them.

For example, for 'developing self & others', you could volunteer with a charity such as IntoUniversity or DebateMate that mentors/coaches primary & secondary school pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds.

For working together, you could join the committee for a society and work to plan and execute an event.
Thank you so much, this is so helpful!
JessD3333
Rep:
?
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
Just FYI, for a video interview, the majority of your examples should be recent (from the last two years). So what you're doing now while you're still a sixth former is less relevant. It wouldn't be good if you spent the whole video interview talking about things you did at school - they care much more about your time at uni (or in pre or post-uni employment, as not everyone goes straight from uni to the FS).
Thank you! I will bear this in mind
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (38)
23.6%
Better than expected (37)
22.98%
Worse than expected (86)
53.42%

Watched Threads