Questions on the Physics of the Optics of the Eye 👀

Watch
Alexandramartis
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, I have found the question below and am uncertain whether I have answered it correctly or used the appropriate methodology. I have attached the diagram from the question also. I would be very grateful if anyone could offer advice or improvements upon my answer, as the juxtapoisiton of the anatomy of the eye within a physics question was a little confounding to me at first 👍

Question 1:The speed of ultrasound in the lens is 1650 ms^-1 and 1520 ms^-1 in the vitreous and aqueous humour, calculate:

a. The thickness of the lens.
Given that distance = speed *time
Convert speed from us to s:
4us=4*10^-6s or 0.000004 s

Therefore, distance = 1650 ms^-1 * 4*10^-6 s
Thickness of the lens = 6.6*10^-3m or 0.0066 m

b. The distance from the back of the lens to the retina.
Time = 35-20=15 us
15us= 1.5*10^-5 s or 0.000015 s

Distance =speed *time
Distance = 1520ms^-1 * 1.5*10^-5 s
Therefore, the distance from the back of the lens to the retina = 2.28 *10^-2 m or 0.0228 m

Question 2: Detailed ultrasound scans called B-scans are used to construct comprehensive images of the entire eye. B-scans are also used to form images of foetuses, as X-rays can be harmful. Explain why B-scans not used for all body imaging?

Ultrasonography is not preferable for imaging bones or any tissues that contain air, like the lungs. The amplitude and intensity of ultrasound waves decrease as they travel through tissue, a phenomenon known as attenuation. Given a fixed distance, attenuation affects high frequency ultrasound waves to a greater degree than lower frequency waves.
Therefore, the attenuation is too high when imaging mature bones meaning the waves are reflected back producing a distorted image.
When assessing a fetus, bones are not as dense as in an adult so the reflection is very low and the image has a higher resolution. Consequently, ultrasound imaging is not as detailed as X-rays, CT or MRI scans as it also is limited to parts of the body as the sound waves cannot travel through air (such as in the lungs) and are blocked by bone.
Attached files
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Timings in medical ultrasound are usually for a 2 way journies afaik - the transmitter and receiver are in the same place, the receiver isn't inside the eye.

Might be worth mentioning wavelength as a limit on the minimum feature size that it's possible to image - e.g. I don't think a bone fracture would show up on ultrasound.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (57)
14.65%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.19%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.22%
I'm finding things difficult (133)
34.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed