Washington Post settles $250M suit with Covington teen Nick Sandmann

Watch
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
This kid is going to be rolling in it by the time these lawsuits are said and done. Almost makes me want to get slandered by the press
Props to him though for this. I remember the coverage was absolutely scathing in its condemnation of him. Until the actual truth came out, not to mention the involvement of the odious cult the 'Black Hebrew Israelite's'.

The Washington Post on Friday agreed to settle a monster $250 million lawsuit filed by Covington Catholic High School student Nick Sandmann over its botched coverage of his 2019 encounter with a Native American elder.
Sandmann declared the victory in a tweet on his 18th birthday. It’s unclear how much the newspaper settled for.
“On 2/19/19, I filed $250M defamation lawsuit against Washington Post. Today, I turned 18 & WaPo settled my lawsuit,” he wrote.
“Thanks to @ToddMcMurtry & @LLinWood for their advocacy. Thanks to my family & millions of you who have stood your ground by supporting me. I still have more to do,” he continued.
It’s the teen’s second win in a whopping $800 million defamation battle against a number of news outlets including the Washington Post, CNN, ABC, CBS, The Guardian, The Hill and NBC.
CNN agreed to settle with Sandmann in January this year as part of a separate $275 million claim.
Sandmann and a group of his Covington classmates were vilified on social media after they were filmed wearing “Make America Great Again” hats after an anti-abortion rally while being yelled at by demonstrators.

Sandmann, then 16, was singled out after footage of his confrontation with Native American activist Nathan Phillips was picked up by CNN and other outlets who claimed the incident was racially motivated.
Footage released later showed it was the Covington students who were being harassed.
In a subsequent tweet Friday, Sandmann fired a warning shot at Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey.
“We have settled with WAPO and CNN. The fight isn’t over. 2 down. 6 to go. Don’t hold your breath @jack,” he wrote.
https://nypost.com/2020/07/24/washin...nick-sandmann/
Underscore__
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’d let Kathy Griffin call for me to be doxed if I’m going to get a few million out of it. The thing I still find amazing about this story is how loud the criticisms were and how silent the apologies seem to be
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Does this go in the Go Woke, Get Broke box? Asking for a friend.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
This is why you check your facts before publishing the story.
Occitanie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
This kid is going to be rolling in it by the time these lawsuits are said and done. Almost makes me want to get slandered by the press
Props to him though for this. I remember the coverage was absolutely scathing in its condemnation of him. Until the actual truth came out, not to mention the involvement of the odious cult the 'Black Hebrew Israelite's'.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/24/washin...nick-sandmann/
I expect he'll make a comfortable $30m from it. Good for him, though.

I remember it all too, and how they accused him and his peers of all sorts of things...
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
This is why you check your facts before publishing the story.
Reminds me of that line from Yes Minister "we're discussing our position. the facts are neither here nor there" something that seems to apply to news outlets an alarming amount these days. A rather keen downside to the rolling news cycle where everyone is trying to scoop each other.
Just my opinion
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
He gave them an opportunity to retract and apologise before suing and lots of them, including the big corps ignored him, infact some doubled down on it.
But they've learned nothing apparently as the NYT and CNN have both broken the non discussion agreement already and the lads attorney is preparing to sue them again.
The list of names he should be suing us extensive including plenty of trigger happy celebrities and comedians desperate at the time to join in the feeding frenzy.
The shocking thing for me was how many right-wing politicians and commentators felt the need to condemn him instead of giving it 48 hrs for the facts to come out. I think it said more about how the left control the media agenda. All it took for many was a phone call from a leftwing reporter asking them to condemn the boys and they jumped.
Last edited by Just my opinion; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (178)
58.75%
No they should not (90)
29.7%
Abstain (35)
11.55%

Watched Threads