Watch
epicnm
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
http://theguardian.com/world/2020/ju...new-york-times

Slavery was a “necessary evil” to build America? As in America couldn’t exist without the torture, murder and rape of African lives? This racist really said that whilst trying to defund teaching about slavery. Then again in Trump’s America this really shouldn’t come as a surprise.
Wōden
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
He's not exactly wrong, virtually every nation on Earth was built upon, or at least at some point in history relied upon slavery in one form or another.
Last edited by Wōden; 1 week ago
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by epicnm)
http://theguardian.com/world/2020/ju...new-york-times

Slavery was a “necessary evil” to build America? As in America couldn’t exist without the torture, murder and rape of African lives? This racist really said that whilst trying to defund teaching about slavery. Then again in Trump’s America this really shouldn’t come as a surprise.
Not to agree with him per-se but in a strict sense he was correct. Given counter factuals are by definition a load of clap trap. It isnt a nice fact but but America is what is today because of that particular institution.
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
We might as well call every 'evil' throughout human history a "necessary evil" that got humanity to where it currently is. It's really easy for us super duper enlightened moderns to look back in disgust. Even easier, it seems, to do so selectively and with a Western-centric lens.
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As for the 1619 Project, the following is a good critique:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/...ry-of-slavery/
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm inclined to disagree. To say that slavery was a 'necessary evil' is to basically say that you know what would have happened if it wasn't around. It is not possible to know this. We don't have 'what if' machines where we could look at alternative versions of history.

I'd be willing to argue that the US could have succeeded without slavery. The US has / had an abundance of natural resources and non-slave labour, back then, was very cheap. I find it hard to believe that the US could not have developed without slavery.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
He isn't wrong, the 1619 Project wants to re frame the birth of the nation as by making black slavery at the centre of the national narrative. This completely writes out the indentured labour many forcibly taken or left with little other options from Europe that did in fact serve as the founding of the nation, during the 1630's it is estimated that between a half and two thirds of colonists were in fact indentured labours.

This is the problem with revisionism, by focusing solely on one aspect you miss the bigger picture.
epicnm
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
I think emphasis should be placed on “necessary”. America’s profiting off free labour for centuries had allowed it to turn into what it is today, but calling it “necessary”, given that nobody knows what would’ve happen without transatlantic slavery, is not only incorrect but also attempts to justify the USA’s historic profiting of African nations and enslavement, torture, rape and murder of its citizens. His comments endorsed the sentiment of some slave-owning land makers and then followed by the 100+ years of lynching, theft, massacres and denial of basic human rights. Imagine if someone had said to enslave white Americans to rebuild the economy of an African nation for example. There’s no justification. He sounds like the Nazis who justified their crimes by saying “I was just following orders”.
epicnm
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ascend)
We might as well call every 'evil' throughout human history a "necessary evil" that got humanity to where it currently is. It's really easy for us super duper enlightened moderns to look back in disgust. Even easier, it seems, to do so selectively and with a Western-centric lens.
I wouldn’t say “enlightened moderns”, given slaves would’ve had the knowledge that their treatment was disgusting, aswell as White Americans who had recognised and protested against the treatment of slaves.
Underscore__
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
From a very selfish perspective slavery was a necessary evil, I would never have been born were in not for slavery
epicnm
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Underscore__)
From a very selfish perspective slavery was a necessary evil, I would never have been born were in not for slavery
Not to be rude, but why was your birth necessary? Over the lives of several African people and children, many of whom died.
Underscore__
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by epicnm)
Not to be rude, but why was your birth necessary? Over the lives of several African people and children, many of whom died.
I don’t take that as rude. In the grand scheme of things my birth isn’t particularly significant (still have time to find the cure for cancer and end all wars) but to me my birth is very significant, which is why I called it selfish.

I would imagine the same to be true of a lot of people; it feels difficult for me to say that I’d rather never exist and not have had people I’ll never know suffer.
Susan Edelman
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Tom Cotton is a racist POS. He claims there's no over-incarceration problem, nor a problem with systematic racism in the justice system. In fact, given a chance, he would have even stricter punishments and expand the prison system greatly. He also wants to crack down on protests with the full force of the military
epicnm
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Susan Edelman)
Tom Cotton is a racist POS. He claims there's no over-incarceration problem, nor a problem with systematic racism in the justice system. In fact, given a chance, he would have even stricter punishments and expand the prison system greatly. He also wants to crack down on protests with the full force of the military
Yep! Tom cotton is a complete racist!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (39)
40.63%
Take autumn exams (35)
36.46%
Look for a job (2)
2.08%
Consider an apprenticeship (3)
3.13%
Take a year out (12)
12.5%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
5.21%

Watched Threads