Turn on thread page Beta

Is there any way to control/lessen the amount of sleep you need? watch

ReputationRep:
    Or is there a way to just get up and go without sleeping in more than you need to? How do people do it? I've gotten proper lazy over the past few weeks, sleeping at 2-3am and waking up at 12-1pm. Today I got up at 10.30am, was meant to go the gym but **** got in the way and it seems like my day has started as normal, now. I've found it's impossible to force yourself to sleep early, for me anyway. But I want to be up at 7-8am like I was at college, even with little sleep. I've found that no matter how much I sleep, be it 5 hours or 11 hours, I'm still tired during the day. So I might as well sleep for 6-7 hours a day.

I think I've lost motivation to get up early and do what I want because I am jobless atm. And I haven't been to the gym in about 2-3 weeks now (properly, with a routine) because I get up too late and have other things to do. So, anyone got any ideas? For people who manage on 6-8 everyday, do you feel energetic?

ReputationRep:
    i always feel energetic, not sure why.
    I have a job which involves me waking up at normally about 5 oclock, and i stay awake till 12/1 and thenim back up at 5 and i have no problems.
    i think if you start by lessing the sleep you currently have by setting alarms and eventually you will be able to manage on around 5 hrs an night like i do..
    hope it helped!
    x

ReputationRep:
    I don't know

ReputationRep:
    Caffiene?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, a few micrograms of amphetamine usually does the trick. A pill a day keeps the doctor away.

ReputationRep:
    Very loud alarm?

Practice, discipline and a good alarm clock.

ReputationRep:
    wake up early, go to bed early. no sugar or caffeine after 5. Sorted.

You could try something the Aztecs used... drink around 12 glasses of water before you go to sleep, and it is said you will end up waking up earlier than you used to.

Hope this helps! Though you could try colour changing mood lights, because it kinda works.

ReputationRep:
    You probably need something to motivate you. Find a job and for now maybe try out new sports and activities.

I find it hard to go to sleep early when I have been going late for ages but I just keep trying and I soon get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesus-ninja)
    You probably need something to motivate you. Find a job and for now maybe try out new sports and activities.

I find it hard to go to sleep early when I have been going late for ages but I just keep trying and I soon get used to it.
    I'm going to uni in a month so I don't think I could get a job before.

@ im so academic, I will try drinking more water before I sleep, it did work a few days last week without me trying to, I was getting up at 10 and not going back to sleep after.

Also at the caffiene suggestions, I don't think I have any caffiene. No tea, coffee, fizzy drinks (maybe once a week), and rarely any chocolate.

Also with the alarm, I use two - one radio alarm which comes on at 9 everyday, and a phone alarm which I put across the room. This worked today - I put the phone on snooze and went back to bed with it, pressed snooze every 5 mins and about 20 mins later got up. Will keep trying this, but I never hear my radio alarm until the phone one goes off.

ReputationRep:
    well you need at least 8 hours sleep a night so there's no wonder that if you're not getting to bed til 3 you don't wake up til 12/1 ish. I found that once i started excercising and going to the gym regularly that I needed, like, 2 hours less sleep a night! I would also suggest you went to bed earlier, at like 12, and wake up at 8.30 ish? and get into a routine, like you did back in school, or a time when you weren't tired all day.

ReputationRep:
    Its all about routine, once you've woken up at the same time for about a week it starts to happen naturally, you wont even need an alarm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    You could try something the Aztecs used... drink around 12 glasses of water before you go to sleep, and it is said you will end up waking up earlier than you used to.
    Is that because you've pissed the bed? :p:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Sorry but i found the above statement hilarious, try a multivitamin.

ReputationRep:
    Joderz is right. A routine of exercise is probably the best thing for it. Though I feel like a massive hypocrite saying it, coz I never exercise and regularly sleep late during term time!

(Original post by AntiLearner)
    I'm going to uni in a month so I don't think I could get a job before.

@ im so academic, I will try drinking more water before I sleep, it did work a few days last week without me trying to, I was getting up at 10 and not going back to sleep after.

Also at the caffiene suggestions, I don't think I have any caffiene. No tea, coffee, fizzy drinks (maybe once a week), and rarely any chocolate.

Also with the alarm, I use two - one radio alarm which comes on at 9 everyday, and a phone alarm which I put across the room. This worked today - I put the phone on snooze and went back to bed with it, pressed snooze every 5 mins and about 20 mins later got up. Will keep trying this, but I never hear my radio alarm until the phone one goes off.
    Well done! That's a good start for a healthy lifestyle as caffiene does have some side effects.

Also, have you tried lavender/camomile room spray? This is good as it will help you get to sleep quicker, thus ending up that you will wake up earlier. It does work though...

(Original post by jointhedots)
    Is that because you've pissed the bed? :p:
    Yes, it's because you pissed the bed. :rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 29, 2008
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.