Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Since lockdown, I've been home and I've been noticing a lot of things in my family that I didn't know about while I was at university. I don't want to get bogged down in specifics, but it has me worrying about substance abuse, so much so that I've cried heavily at least 3 times this week when finding out new information (to the extent of nearly hyperventilating I think, which is more extreme than my usual crying).
I feel an almost constant pit in my stomach now as all of these things are ongoing - my dad tells me that I should just go back to university and sever myself from all of this, but I don't think I can just leave and not try to help - he says this will be in vain.

I think I have a chance, but it is all getting a bit much. I have worries about a sibling and my mum being on drugs / alcohol, something that started when I left for uni, and now if I don't disconnect myself from them, my dad threatens to kick me out. I can't leave for uni yet, I have babysitting here coming up in August, but I do wonder if it's worth being so anxious all the time.

I can't give major specifics of course, but these problems are all very daunting. I'm wanting others' opinions on whether I should do my best to help, or cut myself off as much as possible from family and just hope it sorts itself out without me.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
I think you should definitely try to help, maybe get a professional in if you are worried about drugs and alcohol, I don't mean to be rude but if there is an issue that you're trying to sort out your dad shouldn't be threatening to kick you out. However, it's also important to look after your own mental health, there are a lot of good articles on here about that actually. Hope that helps, look after yourself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads