I hate the way I look

Watch
LouiseEmson
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
From around the age of 7 I started gaining weight. I am now 18 and I am considered overweight for my age. Over the years I have tried exercising and eating healthier but it only goes on for a couple of days before I give up. It’s gotten to a point where I am disgusted with the way I look and I hate looking in the mirror and wearing certain things because of my self confidence and how others will view me. It has also gotten to a point where my doctor has told me to start introducing a healthier lifestyle but the thought of that freaks me out and due to my Autism and CFS/ME, having a healthier lifestyle would be too tiring and too much of a change for me. Does anyone know what I can do?
SuperiorPotato
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by LouiseEmson)
From around the age of 7 I started gaining weight. I am now 18 and I am considered overweight for my age. Over the years I have tried exercising and eating healthier but it only goes on for a couple of days before I give up. It’s gotten to a point where I am disgusted with the way I look and I hate looking in the mirror and wearing certain things because of my self confidence and how others will view me. It has also gotten to a point where my doctor has told me to start introducing a healthier lifestyle but the thought of that freaks me out and due to my Autism and CFS/ME, having a healthier lifestyle would be too tiring and too much of a change for me. Does anyone know what I can do?
I'm so sorry :console: How many times have you tried to diet and exercise? I know it's difficult at first but you could get a a family member to help you out with this other than that there isn't really a healthy way of losing weight. You need to get out of the mindset of "I can't do it, it's too hard" because that's holding you back. Ofc it will take time and effort but it's worth it and it will be better for you
Chocolatecakexx
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Don't worry-being overweight isn't the worst thing in the world.I would say,try Chloe Tings and go on a healthy diet and cut everything thats bad or processed out of your diet-your young you shouldn't hate the way you look you should love it and yourself best of luck xx
AlastairSampson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's a tricky situation and I completely understand.
In terms of self confidence, the only person that can fix your issue is you, if your lack of self confidence comes from being overweight you could start slow by simply waking up mid morning and going for a mile walk, after you get yourself into that routine you can start adding more miles.

I also can promise you that no one cares about how you look, there are plenty of people in your situation who hate the way they look and feel like when they go out everyone is watching them and judging them, but at the end of the day everyone has their own lives to live and won't focus on how chubby someone they know or have seen is. I myself used to have your mindset and had incredibly low self esteem because of how skinny I was, since then I've put a bit of weight on but have thought back to when I used to be so self conscious and would never look in the mirror shirtless and think how unneccessary it was.

In terms of a healthy lifestyle, apart from doing exercise (it doesn't have to be a lot, just moderate), try cutting out the more unhealthy foods like chocolate and meals with a lot of fat in them, my friend used to be extremely overweight and he started eating no breakfast, a small lunch, and then a large dinner, I'm not saying you should starve yourself, but if you're eating too much of the wrong thing it will contribute negatively.

I feel like your situation is slightly physical but more mental, exercise can improve your mental health and help you to view yourself better, maybe start eating a bit more fruit every now and then, it's the little things.

Keep your head up because I'm routing for you.
gabostrk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You don't need to radically change your way of living. To begin with, it's enough to change rather small things like taking the stairs instead of using the escalator or going to school by bike instead of going by bus. Slowly you will realize progress in the way you feel, which might motivate you to go further steps.

Set yourself small goals, hardly anyone can reach his dream body in a few months or even years. It is important to develop a routine so that what you do feels natural and not imposed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (193)
33.22%
Receiving them online / by email (291)
50.09%
I still don't know (97)
16.7%

Watched Threads