Turn on thread page Beta

Bittorrent watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    There have been a few threads like this one but a few years old.

Is using it to download music illegal? What is the worst that could happen if I download music. (My ISP is BT ( British Telecoms not Bittorrent!) btw)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wes)
    It's illegal if the music is copyrighted (ie. most of it).
    Or, being particularly technical:

It's illegal if the music is copyrighted under a license that doesn't allow free redistribution (i.e. most of it).

Copyleft doesn't have any real legal meaning so it's still copyright in practice.

ReputationRep:
    The worst that could happen is the copyright owner decides to sue you. Not sure how much they can sue for, but it has a few zeros in it...

This of course only applies to music with a copyright holder. But that is still most music.

ReputationRep:
    Statistically, you're unlikely to get caught and prosecuted. That doesn't make it any more illegal though. A few people have been made an example of (with some surprisingly harsh fines, might I add).

Your choice.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.