Unis are going to ban freshers from having parties and overnight visitors

Watch
UnwantedKid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Some serious misuse of anon function in this thread.
Last edited by UnwantedKid; 2 weeks ago
Anonymous #6
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It is worth it to have your own space and easier access to university resources, I can't bare studying whilst living at home with family
True, but that’s subjective. It saves £5000 on Accomodation when there won’t be freshers and social interaction will be limited and socially distanced
Anonymous #5
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes we've heard you but there are plenty of activities going around which have gatherings. Sports matches like cricket are now being available to play and when they do play they sign a waiver which means that they acknowledge that they are risking catching Covid. My point being is if you don't want to risk catching a virus don't go clubbing and if you are at serious risk then you should consider deferring because you don't know whether others (who may not even go clubbing) will contract the virus. I know plenty of unis that will allow you to defer due to health reasons.
When you go clubbing or attending parties you are going at your own risk, pre covid or post covid it is at your own risk. If you know people in the flat that are going to parties then just maintain social distancing measures and be extra hygienic. If you have a underlying health condition then its not worth going to uni this year because you will have very little to support you.
Look at the amount of deaths, its less than 100 for the last couple of days and it will continue to decrease, more people are dying of the flu, and that is also deadly for people with underlying health conditions. If that's the case then clubs should always be banned forever. But obviously thats not whats happening, because people who don't want to catch the flu stay at home, improve their hygiene etc.
Banning clubs and even small social gatherings at uni will cause people to defer or not even go to uni, which obviously isn't good for the uni.
Wow, imagine thinking that people should defer uni just so you can go clubbing.
People who have underlying health conditions have just as much of a right to go to uni this year as you do, stop being so selfish. These people are relying on you to think about anyone other than yourself and your healthy pals.
You will still be able to have small social gatherings in the same way you currently can. UCL have said there will be a ban on parties and overnight visitors. That doesn't mean small socially distanced gatherings.
Also, my uni have specifically told people with underlying health conditions and people coming from abroad to contact them so they can see how they can help.

Frankly I don’t care if no one listens. I will emphasise the inherent value of human life until I am blue in the face. If there is one thing I will believe in for the rest of my life, it will be that. People’s lives are important and compassion and care are the most valuable things we have.

That really should not be a controversial opinion. Life is valuable.
Exactly this.

True, but that’s subjective. It saves £5000 on Accomodation when there won’t be freshers and social interaction will be limited and socially distanced
To be fair, I don't think anyone's expecting students to socially distance with the people in their flat, like how we don't have to socially distance with the people we live with now. But yeah, I can see where you're coming from.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
Though OP is naive....

Do you truly believe that students are going to be contained in some bubble... What happens when they use London public transport. 😅😂. Uni's need to lighten up. If they don't feel it's safe... They should cancel accomodation and risk losing the revenue not imprison people and diminish their freedoms to unreasonable and unrealistic levels, while collecting those revenue streams quite willingly!
They have to take the most practical precautions they can to minimise any risk. Things change very quickly, but what you do know is that it is highly infectious and its behoven on students to be responsible and minimise such risks.

You seem to suggest its one thing or the other when in fact they are suggesting that following the public guidelines it will be possible to deliver a degree course with as little disruption as practically possible.
Cancelling accommodation makes no sense as students wouldnt be able to get to uni then.
You also run the risk of sending the uni bankrupt, which really would affect service delivery.

Do I believe students will stick to social distancing when alcohol is introduced? Some will and some will not.
Just because it is challenging does not mean it should be attempted, otherwise you might as well close all unis permanently.
Students will be young adults, perhaps they are to be trusted with the responsibility of social distancing to protect themselves and others or perhaps that is too much to expect of them.
Anonymous #6
Report 2 weeks ago
I’m reading this, I’m glad I am just staying home. I only live 30 mins away from the campus and get free train travel. With freshers cancelled and lack of interaction with other flats, Accomodation just isn’t worth it if you can commute
Opinions everyone?
UnwantedKid
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Students will be young adults, perhaps they are to be trusted with the responsibility of social distancing to protect themselves and others or perhaps that is too much to expect of them.
Judging by this thread I think some people are better off at home with mummy and daddy for another year.
UnwantedKid
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Opinions everyone?
Is that you or another anon?
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Should we take Covid 19 seriously and not be able to have all our normal social activities (note still be able to do some)?

In the UK more people have died of Covid 19 than were killed by Nazi bombing in World War 2. More than ten times the number of deaths from the 'troubles' in Northern Ireland that lasted over 30 years. More than 50 times the number of deaths in the Falklands conflict. Until last week the average deaths per day was more than died at Hillsborough (hopefully justice for the Covid 19 inactions will not take over 30 years as it has for the 96 who died on April 15 1989).

Even if you don't think of the risk of infection for you, think of the bus drivers, those in the NHS, those in care homes and others who have had the virus. Who you can transmit it to even if you don't have ill effects.
Anonymous #6
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by gigaberry)
Is that you or another anon?
Me
Anonymous #6
Report 2 weeks ago
Judging by this thread I think some people are better off at home with mummy and daddy for another year.
If they can commute, they may as well stay at home imo and save the Accomodation money
UnwantedKid
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If they can commute, they may as well stay at home imo and save the Accomodation money
That wasn't what I meant dear, but you do you.
NonIndigenous
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hah, yeah - can’t help but agree with that.
Now more than ever, though. Why would you go to uni right now if you don’t want to learn?
Though a good number of them drop out after 1st year, I place these kinds of individuals just one league up from people who make a career out of claiming welfare their entire lives "just because they can". They have an identical mindset, just not crafty enough to pull it off long-term.

I hold no grudge against people who genuinely struggle at university, but entered with best intentions. It's people who deliberately go there just to ar.se around at someone else's expense and do little/nothing else. Because that's the way our system works. Those who actually get around to repaying their loans, by 'propping up' the existing system are passively subsidising those who do not repay their loans. And out of the entire set of people who do not repay their loans, a certain % of them knew that was what they were aiming for from the outset, and just wanted to p!ss a couple of years away.
Last edited by NonIndigenous; 2 weeks ago
Anonymous #6
Report 2 weeks ago
That wasn't what I meant dear, but you do you.
What do you mean?
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
Maybe , but when is a commute reasonable and when is it a pain in the backside?
If they make a vaccine or discover a speedy treatment or a speedy test, then things could take a significant step to normal and all the freshers partying could happen next year.
UnwantedKid
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What do you mean?
Some people mentally aren't ready to act or be treated like adults, and are better off at home until they've grown up a bit more/got a grip.
Other_Owl
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Covid Virus...
Anonymous #6
Report 2 weeks ago
Maybe , but when is a commute reasonable and when is it a pain in the backside?
If they make a vaccine or discover a speedy treatment or a speedy test, then things could take a significant step to normal and all the freshers partying could happen next year.
True, but 30 mins on a train without paying is basically nothing considering I wouldn’t have to travel to campus often
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
True, but 30 mins on a train without paying is basically nothing considering I wouldn’t have to travel to campus often
Yes but whether CV19 exists or not many people would choose to commute that distance.
It has advantages and disadvantages.
Anonymous #6
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes but whether CV19 exists or not many people would choose to commute that distance.
It has advantages and disadvantages.
Yes, still feel it’s the right decision this year with COVID
wizardtop
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
All what happens during any fresher week is you all mingle and join societies or clubs plus the bars and nightclubs nearby offer special discounts on drinks and entry. I think its mainly a week to let some steam and stress off before starting academic studies and to celebrate that you have all obtained a degree place at your chosen university.

I seem to think if any university allowed at the moment during this coronavirus epidemic that has been happening over the last few months then social distancing would defiantly go out the window.

You need to think of the reasons behind such a certain decision made by the stated university as they wouldn't have made it likely.

I do agree with gigaberry above in the first page of this thread as my own individual past university experience most of the freshers that i knew during my first year of my degree, where just there to have a good time and party and studies came lower on their list.

Others like me where they to study and get through the degree itself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (7)
4.55%
Confident (14)
9.09%
Indifferent (16)
10.39%
Unsure (37)
24.03%
Worried (80)
51.95%

Watched Threads