Watch
DSilva
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by generallee)
We'll see how long that lasts.

America is a country divided right down the middle, as we are, but its political centre of gravity is palpably to the right of the UK. It is also far more racist than us.
America is divided, yes. And that's been exacerbated by the current President who has totally failed to bring the country together.

Here's hoping Biden is elected, and things may start to become just a little bit calmer.
Advertisement
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DSilva)
Here's hoping Biden is elected
Yeah, what could possibly go wrong with putting someone with dementia in the White House?
generallee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
America is divided, yes. And that's been exacerbated by the current President who has totally failed to bring the country together.

Here's hoping Biden is elected, and things may start to become just a little bit calmer.
I think Biden will be, but I fear it won't be calmer.

Trump has hardly been a success, but the problem for Biden if he wins, is that the Democrats upped the ante last time and refused to accept that Trump's election was in any way legitimate.

His refusal to leave office may be overblown (although who knows??) but the Republicans will surely return the favour and treat a Biden victory as equally invalid. Biden may have a majority in both Houses to start with, but that is unlikely to last beyond the first mid terms.

And the interregnum between victory in November and inauguration in January is utterly ridiculous. What other Democracy has such a stupid system? We do it the same day! Obama used the time to plant all kinds of clever time bombs for Trump, do we really think Trump will behave any better and not make things as impossible as he can for Biden?
Advertisement
DSilva
Rep:
?
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Yeah, what could possibly go wrong with putting someone with dementia in the White House?
Beats having Trump in there.
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Beats having Trump in there.
I'm not sure ”voting for a senile racist to own the cons” is a good strategy.
Advertisement
Captain Haddock
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Trump has hardly been a success, but the problem for Biden if he wins, is that the Democrats upped the ante last time and refused to accept that Trump's election was in any way legitimate.

His refusal to leave office may be overblown (although who knows??) but the Republicans will surely return the favour and treat a Biden victory as equally invalid. Biden may have a majority in both Houses to start with, but that is unlikely to last beyond the first mid terms.

And the interregnum between victory in November and inauguration in January is utterly ridiculous. What other Democracy has such a stupid system? We do it the same day! Obama used the time to plant all kinds of clever time bombs for Trump, do we really think Trump will behave any better and not make things as impossible as he can for Biden?
Trump refused to accept the election was legitimate and he won the bloody thing. If he doesn't accept the loss it won't be the Dems' fault.
DSilva
Rep:
?

We should not write Trump off, only a fool would. It is rare for a sitting President to lose.

However, it does seem objectively tougher for him this time around. Biden is not nearly as unpopular as Clinton was, and the attack line of 'sleepy Joe' just doesn't have the same sting as 'crooked Hilary' did. Plus Trump will find it much harder to play the insurgent outsider ready to shake up the system given he is now the establishment.

It also seems this time around that moderate Republicans are more willing to support Biden (see the Lincoln Project and their brutal campaign ads).

For all Trump promised, in reality what has he actually achieved? It's increasingly obvious that to him the presidency was about his own ego, rather than shaking up any system or representing the 'forgotten people'. It's a bit animal farmy isn't it? Those who rally against the establishment become exactly like those they rallied against once in office
Last edited by DSilva; 3 weeks ago
Advertisement
DSilva
Rep:
?
I'm not sure ”voting for a senile racist to own the cons” is a good strategy.
Biden has faults for sure, but Trump is in a diffenet league to just about anyone when it comes to unsuitability for high office.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Does he, though?

I recall there being a video going around supposedly showing his dementia, but that later turned out to be edited.

One could also argue that Trump has dementia given how jumbled and messy his sentences are.
Advertisement
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Biden has faults for sure, but Trump is in a diffenet league to just about anyone when it comes to unsuitability for high office.
Joe Biden will probably die or get declared unsuitable for office if he's elected. If that happens then his VP will become president, which might cause problems depending on if his VP is from the left of the Dems and if the protests continue.
(Original post by SHallowvale)
Does he, though?

I recall there being a video going around supposedly showing his dementia, but that later turned out to be edited.

One could also argue that Trump has dementia given how jumbled and messy his sentences are.
I'd argue the whole ”lying dog-faced pony soldier” thing is pretty clear evidence of dementia.
generallee
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
We should not write Trump off, only a fool would. It is rare for a sitting President to lose.

However, it does seem objectively tougher for him this time around. Biden is not nearly as unpopular as Clinton was, and the attack line of 'sleepy Joe' just doesn't have the same sting as 'crooked Hilary' did. Plus Trump will find it much harder to play the insurgent outsider ready to shake up the system given he is now the establishment.

It also seems this time around that moderate Republicans are more willing to support Biden (see the Lincoln Project and their brutal campaign ads).

For all Trump promised, in reality what has he actually achieved? It's increasingly obvious that to him the presidency was about his own ego, rather than shaking up any system or representing the 'forgotten people'. It's a bit animal farmy isn't it? Those who rally against the establishment become exactly like those they rallied against once in office
It is very rare for the largest economy in the world to be economically devastated by a deadly virus too!

I thought Trump would win last time because I take an interest in the sort of US social media outlets that support him and they were red hot. The mainstream media were totally unaware of what was going on. In fact I won the best part of a grand at the bookies as I have always been a gambler and have to bet my hunches.

This time round it is very different. Those same media outlets are at best lukewarm, and at worst hostile. He has lost some of his base, and since everything else is lined up against him, that is terminal. It is a combination of his inept handling of the virus, his (perceived) weakness on immigration reform and above all in not standing up to BLM. As his supporters see it the entirety of American civilisation is being torn down by the left and his response has been a couple of tweets.

So I am not putting any money on him myself this time. Even though the odds are probably (I haven't even looked) even better. I could be wrong, of course, I often am, but I can't see him turning this round, absent some black swan event between now and the election.
Advertisement
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'd argue the whole ”lying dog-faced pony soldier” thing is pretty clear evidence of dementia.
Why is that evidence of dementia?
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why is that evidence of dementia?
People in their right minds don't usually tend to go around calling people ”lying dog faced pony soldiers”
Advertisement
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
People in their right minds don't usually tend to go around calling people ”lying dog faced pony soldiers”
Uh, why not? You or I wouldn't say that, sure, but we come from a different country and were born to a totally different generation. For all we know, "lying dog faced pony soldier" is typical of people of his generation and background.
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
For all we know, "lying dog faced pony soldier" is typical of people of his generation and background.
It isn't.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It isn't.
How would you know?
QE2
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It's a misquoted line from a 50s movie, where a Native American accuses a US cavalryman of lying.
So in that context, seems not at all an unreasonable thing for a man of Biden's generation to say in that context.
Advertisement
generallee
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
It's a misquoted line from a 50s movie, where a Native American accuses a US cavalryman of lying.
So in that context, seems not at all an unreasonable thing for a man of Biden's generation to say in that context.
If it were just that, one might agree with you. But Biden has a long long history of committing gaffes and plagiarism going back decades. He even stole (without attribution) from a famous speech by Neil Kinnock!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rkoqglq9dU

You have to be a sandwich short of a picnic to not realise that this would get picked up on within hours. Politics in the UK and US are intertwined on a professional level...
QE2
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If it were just that, one might agree with you. But Biden has a long long history of committing gaffes and plagiarism going back decades.
Don't think quoting lines from movies counts as "plagiarism", lol!

You have to be a sandwich short of a picnic to not realise that this would get picked up on within hours. Politics in the UK and US are intertwined on a professional level...
So you claim that Biden is mentally substandard because 33 years ago he reworked a speech by another politician to illustrate exactly the same point?
Can you explain the logic behind that?

I agree that Biden is probably too old to be president, but he is certainly more mentally reliable and stable than Trump - so on those grounds you have to favour Biden, as the only other option is Trump.
generallee
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by QE2)
Don't think quoting lines from movies counts as "plagiarism", lol!

So you claim that Biden is mentally substandard because 33 years ago he reworked a speech by another politician to illustrate exactly the same point?

Can you explain the logic behind that?

I agree that Biden is probably too old to be president, but he is certainly more mentally reliable and stable than Trump - so on those grounds you have to favour Biden, as the only other option is Trump.
I didn't say that quoting lines from movies count as plagiarism, and I don't think it is. But then you knew already that, like I always say, you can't stop yourself being intellectually dishonest. It may work with other posters, but every time you do it I will point it out.

What IS plagiarism is quoting another politician's speeches WORD FOR WORD as your own. And stealing someone else's work at Law School for the matter of that.

https://www.businessinsider.com/plag...19-3?r=US&IR=T

As for him being mentally "sub standard", he may not have been in the 80's, but he increasingly appears it now. Or maybe he is just mendacious?

https://www.businessinsider.com/joe-...19-8?r=US&IR=T

To your last point, I don't think Trump has been an effective President, but Biden will be just as incompetent in a totally different way. The fact that the American system has come up with a choice of those two is an appalling indictment of it.

Neither is fit to be President of (still) the most powerful country on earth.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (164)
24.92%
Better than expected (132)
20.06%
Worse than expected (362)
55.02%

Watched Threads