Building a pc for the first time

Watch
Jesswaltonx3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi guys!I’m wanting to build a PC that is fairly inexpensive as well as being powerful enough to run sims 4, GTA V, Skyrim, Fallout etc, all on ultra high smooth graphics. The specs of the PC are listed below that I am planning to build together (with the help of YouTube lol). Is this list okay? Will all of these products be compatible with one another?*I have also listed some DDR4 RAM sticks I am planning to use, however I am not sure if these are compatible with gaming PC’s or not? if they are compatible it would save me a bit of money*I’m completely new to building PC’s so any help will be appreciated!😁 Thank you in advance.
Last edited by RoyalSheepy; 23 hours ago
macy_m
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Dell PC
Archetypally
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Where's the list?
Dell PC
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by macy_m)
Dell PC
i built a pc once with my dad but i was 8 at that time and i didn't anything that was happening :lol:
Vapordave
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jesswaltonx3)
Hi guys!I’m wanting to build a PC that is fairly inexpensive as well as being powerful enough to run sims 4, GTA V, Skyrim, Fallout etc, all on ultra high smooth graphics. The specs of the PC are listed below that I am planning to build together (with the help of YouTube lol). Is this list okay? Will all of these products be compatible with one another?*I have also listed some DDR4 RAM sticks I am planning to use, however I am not sure if these are compatible with gaming PC’s or not? if they are compatible it would save me a bit of money*I’m completely new to building PC’s so any help will be appreciated!😁 Thank you in advance.
List?
macy_m
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Dell PC)
i built a pc once with my dad but i was 8 at that time and i didn't anything that was happening :lol:
My bad :rofl:
Dell PC
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by macy_m)
My bad :rofl:
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jesswaltonx3)
Bit unfortunate you never came back and provided the list.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Everything is heavily standardised with PCs, the ATX standard prescribes things down to spacings to the millimetre on motherboards.

Any non-ECC DDR4 will be "compatible". Ensure the socket of your CPU matches the one on the motherboard you're getting, similarly for the cooler if you're using an aftermarket cooler. If you want to do CPU overclocking, make sure your motherboard's chipset supports that. (sometimes you can get around this with software hacks) GPU overclocking doesn't need a specific chipset.

Ensure you get a case big enough for your motherboard (if you get a micro ATX board you'll need at least a micro ATX case) and your GPU. Any ATX power supply of sufficient wattage will be compatible and have the right connections but this is the thing you least want to cheap out on, get a good one.

PCPartPicker handles the vast majority of these things automatically and will flag any issues.
Last edited by _gcx; 1 week ago
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Moved from Gaming to Technology and Computers. The thread matches better by far here and it is more helpful for you.
Last edited by Kallisto; 19 hours ago
RoyalSheepy
Rep:
?
Report 23 hours ago
(Original post by Archetypally)
Where's the list?
(Original post by Vapordave)
List?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Bit unfortunate you never came back and provided the list.
There was a list but this thread was flagged because of the link...

discobish can you restore the link?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (158)
38.44%
Take autumn exams (125)
30.41%
Look for a job (15)
3.65%
Consider an apprenticeship (18)
4.38%
Take a year out (69)
16.79%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
6.33%

Watched Threads