The Student Room Group

Helpp!! Will I get into a Russel group uni

Hi so I am currently going into year 13 now and I do biology/chemistry and maths and I have a good chance of getttng all A in the subject, However my problem comes with GCSE English language. So I’m trying to get into a Russel group uni and I only really want to go to one of them, but one thing is worrying me is that I have a grade 5 in English Lang and 6 in lit. And to get into the uni it says on the website a requirement of a grade 6 in English language. So I was wondering if they would take me on because of my grade 6 in English lit or if they only want language. I do so much extra curricular work as well, had work experience played lots of sport, got of awards in academic and creative purposes. So would they maybe lower the grade so I can get in
Original post by ingrid23
Hi so I am currently going into year 13 now and I do biology/chemistry and maths and I have a good chance of getttng all A in the subject, However my problem comes with GCSE English language. So I’m trying to get into a Russel group uni and I only really want to go to one of them, but one thing is worrying me is that I have a grade 5 in English Lang and 6 in lit. And to get into the uni it says on the website a requirement of a grade 6 in English language. So I was wondering if they would take me on because of my grade 6 in English lit or if they only want language. I do so much extra curricular work as well, had work experience played lots of sport, got of awards in academic and creative purposes. So would they maybe lower the grade so I can get in

Which university is it? They are not usually very flexible with minimum GCSE grades.

Best thing would be to ask the univeristy themselves; any answer here is going to be quite general and you need a specific answer.
(edited 3 years ago)

Which degree are you looking at?
Reply 3
It’s quite a few unis so ucl/Bristol/Newcastle and queen marys as well. And the degree I’m most likely to go into is a straight chemistry degree. Or possibly a chemical engineering/pharmaceutical degree

Hi there,

Usually if you don't meet certain grade requirements, universities won't consider you (hence why they have the requirements in the first place). However, if you are only 1 grade below and your other GCSE's and predicted A-Level grades are all good, then they may consider you. I would suggest emailing the admissions departments at the universities you are interested, and they can give you a more concrete answer.

I would also advise against only looking at Russell Groups unis, as there are plenty of universities that are as good as (if not better than) Russell group unis. These universities are often amazing, and the only real reason they aren't classed as Russell Group is because they aren't as big so can't offer as many courses or do as much research, but as a university and academically they are the same or better as Russell Group unis.

I hope this helped,
Jessica, a final year NatSci student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending