KStaite
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi all,

Can anyone provide my with any useful information or links in relation to the below;

I want to take 4 full A-Levels. Maths, Further Maths, Physics and computer Science.

1. The Advanced Learner Loan states I can take A-Levels with this. Are A-Levels the same as BTEC courses? Are A-Levels Level 3? If so, what is Level 4, 5 and 6 - what Level does university start at for example.

2. I’m finding it hard to find colleges offering A-Levels within my area. Is it best to pay for private tuition? If so, does the Advanced Learner Loan cover private tuition? I need the tuition but finding it hard to find colleges providing A-Levels.

3. Oxford University are asking for A-Levels etc for their entry requirements. It also mentions IB. Does this mean I have to do the IB programme as well with my A-Levels?

Thanks for all your help in advance!
Broque_
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
1. A levels are all level 3. Btec's come in a range of levels, however this would be specified, i.e. level 3 Btec Performance Arts, which is equivalent to 3 A levels when passed. They are all means of Further Education, A levels, Btecs level 3, Advanced Apprenticeships, T levels, IB. Levels are just how qualifications are measured. For instance, GCSE Pass grades are considered level 2, A level Pass grades are considered level 3, 1st year Bachelor's programme is level 4, 2nd (sometimes 3rd) year level 5, a completed Bachelor's programme is level 6, and so on. I'll attach two useful links outlining these below.

2. Are you in the UK? A levels are offered in England, Wales and NI, and there should be at least 1 institution in your local area that can offer them. In Scotland students do Highers. I'm not sure what ALL covers and doesn't cover. You could do private tuition, you could do online school, there are many options, however I would generally advice to find a school that offers them or do online. However, I'm not an expert at this.

3. IB stands for International Baccalaureate. It's just a different qualification you can take which is equivalent to A levels. No, you either do A levels or you do IB. They're graded differently and focus on different aspects, it really depends on what suits you best.

Gov page on Advanced learner loan: https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan/what-youll-get

Gov page on qualification levels: https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qu...ication-levels

More detailed site on qualification levels (Note a number of qualifications are not mentioned, just the traditional ones): http://iell.co.uk/what-does-a-univer...el-3456-and-7/
KStaite
Rep:
?
Thank you so so much for your help, it’s much appreciated and yes i’m in England. I’ll check out your links now and do some more research with regards to A-Levels and institutions. Thanks again, great information!
Broque_
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by KStaite)
Thank you so so much for your help, it’s much appreciated and yes i’m in England. I’ll check out your links now and do some more research with regards to A-Levels and institutions. Thanks again, great information!
Sounds good If you're in England and live close to a city or large town there should be some schools that offer them.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by KStaite)
Hi all,

Can anyone provide my with any useful information or links in relation to the below;

I want to take 4 full A-Levels. Maths, Further Maths, Physics and computer Science.

1. The Advanced Learner Loan states I can take A-Levels with this. Are A-Levels the same as BTEC courses? Are A-Levels Level 3? If so, what is Level 4, 5 and 6 - what Level does university start at for example.

2. I’m finding it hard to find colleges offering A-Levels within my area. Is it best to pay for private tuition? If so, does the Advanced Learner Loan cover private tuition? I need the tuition but finding it hard to find colleges providing A-Levels.

3. Oxford University are asking for A-Levels etc for their entry requirements. It also mentions IB. Does this mean I have to do the IB programme as well with my A-Levels?

Thanks for all your help in advance!
1. A levels and equivalent courses are Level 3. Levels 4 is first year undergrad, and you can probably work the rest out yourself.

2. A levels done privately are very expensive and nigh impossible to do at college if you're over 18 (i.e. not at a VIform college). This is a result of the government not funding FE properly any longer. You'd might want to look into an Access course instead, which is a taught one-year course designed to enable access to university for mature learners - those being not direct school leavers. Best of all, an Access course is free so long as you go on to study at HE. Oxford won't accept an Access course, but there's a million-and-one other universities to look at.

2. Your AtL loan cannot be used for private tuition, no.

3. IB is an alternative, usually taken by foreigners. It's not additional to A levels or another Level 3 course.
KStaite
Rep:
?
(Original post by Broque_)
Sounds good If you're in England and live close to a city or large town there should be some schools that offer them.
Thank you so much, will do a bit of research tonight 😁
KStaite
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
1. A levels and equivalent courses are Level 3. Levels 4 is first year undergrad, and you can probably work the rest out yourself.

2. A levels done privately are very expensive and nigh impossible to do at college if you're over 18 (i.e. not at a VIform college). This is a result of the government not funding FE properly any longer. You'd might want to look into an Access course instead, which is a taught one-year course designed to enable access to university for mature learners - those being not direct school leavers. Best of all, an Access course is free so long as you go on to study at HE. Oxford won't accept an Access course, but there's a million-and-one other universities to look at.

2. Your AtL loan cannot be used for private tuition, no.

3. IB is an alternative, usually taken by foreigners. It's not additional to A levels or another Level 3 course.
Thanks for all the information you provided! Much appreciated
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (22)
6.21%
Uncertainty around my education (38)
10.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (41)
11.58%
Lack of purpose or motivation (48)
13.56%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (18)
5.08%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (16)
4.52%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (37)
10.45%
Financial worries (25)
7.06%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.24%
Exposure to negative news/social media (22)
6.21%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.82%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (36)
10.17%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (26)
7.34%

Watched Threads