Engineering Initial Professional Development

Watch
t-o-f-u
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey guys. As part of my Civ Eng Degree Apprenticeship I need to complete my IPD alongside my course, and I really need to get cracking. I'm really unsure on how to approach my reports for my attributes? All of my colleagues have a different approach and I'm struggling to find one that suits me. I'm doing it with the Institute of Civil Engineers. Does anyone have any advice on how to approach the attribute reports? Or how to structure them? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I also posted this in the Engineering forum in the hopes I will get some help!
Chris2892
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I may have some advise but need to understand what you need to do better.
I did a mechanical engineering degree apprenticeship but didn’t have to do this.

Do you need to write about your personal strengths/attributes? If so, are you having problems identifying these?
t-o-f-u
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Chris2892)
I may have some advise but need to understand what you need to do better.
I did a mechanical engineering degree apprenticeship but didn’t have to do this.

Do you need to write about your personal strengths/attributes? If so, are you having problems identifying these?
So the ICE IPD system lists off 9 attributes (IEng attributes provided by the Engineering Council) - and each attribute is broken down into a number of items that need to be satisfied to prove the attribute is achieved. In addition, you must prove a knowledge, experience and ability for all of those attributes (usually checked off as separate reports). It's not about identifying what those attributes are, as they're written down already. It's more trying to get my head around the system of the ICE's IPD and how to go about writing evidence for each attribute I guess.
Chris2892
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by t-o-f-u)
So the ICE IPD system lists off 9 attributes (IEng attributes provided by the Engineering Council) - and each attribute is broken down into a number of items that need to be satisfied to prove the attribute is achieved. In addition, you must prove a knowledge, experience and ability for all of those attributes (usually checked off as separate reports). It's not about identifying what those attributes are, as they're written down already. It's more trying to get my head around the system of the ICE's IPD and how to go about writing evidence for each attribute I guess.
I had something similar which had behavioural, knowledge, and skills sections.

For the behavioural/attributes section my supervisor recently bought me Gallup’s strengthsfinder 2.0. It’s an insights psychology assessment into your top 5 work style strengths. It comes with an online test which generates an in depth report.
The report is really good in helping identify and understand the unique strengths you bring to a project/team. I used it alongside examples where I demonstrated the skills in different projects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (181)
59.15%
No they should not (90)
29.41%
Abstain (35)
11.44%

Watched Threads