empster8080
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
For my EPQ I am writing a dissertation along the lines of "Is the lack of atmosphere the biggest problem we must overcome in order to sustain life on Mars?" and I am currently writing my introduction and topic overview (which is later fleshed out into a research review). I was wondering really what I need to include in each of these to make them sound different, as I feel I would begin to write pretty much the same thing in each one!
emma543
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by empster8080)
For my EPQ I am writing a dissertation along the lines of "Is the lack of atmosphere the biggest problem we must overcome in order to sustain life on Mars?" and I am currently writing my introduction and topic overview (which is later fleshed out into a research review). I was wondering really what I need to include in each of these to make them sound different, as I feel I would begin to write pretty much the same thing in each one!
By topic overview, I assume you are referring to the abstract. In the introduction, I have sort of given current up-to-date information on the topic, so I have included some statistics as I want to show why my EPQ is such a current topic at the moment- so I am almost reinforcing why I am researching it. If I was you, I would look at perhaps some research articles from Google Scholar as most of them include introductions and you can gather an understanding of the important things to mention in the introduction. For the abstract, I would write this at the end (although it will obvs appear at the start of your dissertation), this is because you want to explain how your EPQ is going to be structured, so perhaps first you'll begin with an overview, and then you'll explore the concept of 'lack of atmosphere' and then you'll look at other factors- you'll also want to include what you intend to find out.

Hope this helps
empster8080
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by emma543)
By topic overview, I assume you are referring to the abstract. In the introduction, I have sort of given current up-to-date information on the topic, so I have included some statistics as I want to show why my EPQ is such a current topic at the moment- so I am almost reinforcing why I am researching it. If I was you, I would look at perhaps some research articles from Google Scholar as most of them include introductions and you can gather an understanding of the important things to mention in the introduction. For the abstract, I would write this at the end (although it will obvs appear at the start of your dissertation), this is because you want to explain how your EPQ is going to be structured, so perhaps first you'll begin with an overview, and then you'll explore the concept of 'lack of atmosphere' and then you'll look at other factors- you'll also want to include what you intend to find out.

Hope this helps
Thank you! That definitely helped a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (44)
15.28%
The paper was reasonable (147)
51.04%
Not feeling great about that exam... (69)
23.96%
It was TERRIBLE (28)
9.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise