JessicaxHannah
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone! I’m starting A Levels in September which is so soon. The current options I sent to my college are Biology, English Literature and Chemistry however no I’ve realised that I don’t want to do A Level Chemistry as I don’t enjoy it. The only other option I would want to take at A Level is Spanish as I enjoyed it a lot yet I’m so unsure about taking it. In my last mock exam I got a 7 in Spanish and my strongest point was my writing and speaking after spending weeks practising and trying to perfect it. However, I am definitely not fluent and I’m so scared that I’ll be so behind as I know the jump from GCSE to A Level is big and I have no idea where everyone else is in my class. I have been trying to practice Spanish. Although it’s only basic I’ve been using Duolingo, making more notes on tenses etc, today I’ve just started watching elite (which is quite confusing as they speak so fast) and I’ve just been trying to read or speak Spanish everyday. I’m thinking of starting a Spanish diary and my college has set a few tasks so I’m going to complete them. Yet I still don’t know whether I should take it. I feel like no matter how much I prepare I still won’t be really good at it and not good enough for A Level😔 Results day is soon and I need to inform my college before that if I choose to change Chemistry to Spanish. Please help!!
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Speak to your school - they’ll know (to put it bluntly, the Spanish dept will have seen students progress over the years and know who sinks or swims, and might be able to direct your extra work too)

At any rate, you know you don’t want to do Chemistry and do want to do Spanish, so let them know - you’ll always do better in a subject you actually want to do, and you’re clearly very motivated for Spanish and putting the work in at the moment, which bodes really well. A 7 is usually what schools require to take an A level in something, and you’re doing extra work now so you’ll probably be better than grade 9 students who did no Spanish over the summer by September (Also no one is ever fluent at GCSE - I did A level Spanish 2 years ago and was not fluent, I could barely hold a conversation and scraped an A*)
JessicaxHannah
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
Speak to your school - they’ll know (to put it bluntly, the Spanish dept will have seen students progress over the years and know who sinks or swims, and might be able to direct your extra work too)

At any rate, you know you don’t want to do Chemistry and do want to do Spanish, so let them know - you’ll always do better in a subject you actually want to do, and you’re clearly very motivated for Spanish and putting the work in at the moment, which bodes really well. A 7 is usually what schools require to take an A level in something, and you’re doing extra work now so you’ll probably be better than grade 9 students who did no Spanish over the summer by September (Also no one is ever fluent at GCSE - I did A level Spanish 2 years ago and was not fluent, I could barely hold a conversation and scraped an A*)
Thank you so much for your reply! It's honestly very reassuring to hear that someone wasn't fluent at A Level because I've read so many forums of people saying they a lot of their class was fluent. That's amazing that you got an A* well done! I have no idea how my conversation skills are anymore so that's a little worrying but I'm planning to improve them soon even if I'm just having a conversation with myself I'll make sure to inform my college, thank you for your advice
physicsamor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got an a* at gcse Spanish and a B at a-level it's definitely a big jump but you do have to put a lot of effort in and I think I was more focused on putting that effort into other subjects
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JessicaxHannah)
Thank you so much for your reply! It's honestly very reassuring to hear that someone wasn't fluent at A Level because I've read so many forums of people saying they a lot of their class was fluent. That's amazing that you got an A* well done! I have no idea how my conversation skills are anymore so that's a little worrying but I'm planning to improve them soon even if I'm just having a conversation with myself I'll make sure to inform my college, thank you for your advice
I’m glad it’s reassuring, for me it’s a source of great shame that my spanish isn’t better

Languages really are about the work and effort you put in - I did better than some classmates who spoke fluent spanish, as they were very lazy because of it and didn’t learn the exam technique! I think there were some people on here looking for conversation buddies (on the language forums...on the other hand internet people so :dontknow:) Watching Spanish TV can help (try Casa de Papel on Netflix?)

:goodluck:
MyLanguageLab
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JessicaxHannah)
Hi everyone! I’m starting A Levels in September which is so soon. The current options I sent to my college are Biology, English Literature and Chemistry however no I’ve realised that I don’t want to do A Level Chemistry as I don’t enjoy it. The only other option I would want to take at A Level is Spanish as I enjoyed it a lot yet I’m so unsure about taking it. In my last mock exam I got a 7 in Spanish and my strongest point was my writing and speaking after spending weeks practising and trying to perfect it. However, I am definitely not fluent and I’m so scared that I’ll be so behind as I know the jump from GCSE to A Level is big and I have no idea where everyone else is in my class. I have been trying to practice Spanish. Although it’s only basic I’ve been using Duolingo, making more notes on tenses etc, today I’ve just started watching elite (which is quite confusing as they speak so fast) and I’ve just been trying to read or speak Spanish everyday. I’m thinking of starting a Spanish diary and my college has set a few tasks so I’m going to complete them. Yet I still don’t know whether I should take it. I feel like no matter how much I prepare I still won’t be really good at it and not good enough for A Level😔 Results day is soon and I need to inform my college before that if I choose to change Chemistry to Spanish. Please help!!
Hola,

Not sure if you’ve made a decision yet but here’s what I’ve advised my own students who are making the jump from Spanish GCSE to A level (I’ve answered this question in another thread but can’t find it lol):

1. Download the A-level specification so you can familiarise yourself with the themes that you're going to be studying on your exam board. It's a good idea to think about these issues because you need to be able to develop your own ideas and justify opinions on current affairs such as culture, tourism, social issues, equality, education, employment etc. Would you enjoy discussing these topics? If so, then great

2. Also have a look at the sample exam paper so that you know the types questions that you’ll be examined on. This gives you an idea of a benchmark, what you need to be aiming for. You can also do the same for past papers, it's a good idea to listen to the listening questions because you'll find there is a jump between GCSE and A level.

3. Ask your teacher for the reading list, ie, the film and text that you'll be studying. Order the book or watch the film. Google or buy study guides and critiques and take a look at some of the past essay writing exam questions see you know what's coming up ahead.

4. Start getting into a routine of reading, listening and watching the news. I suggest my students scanned the headlines of newspapers such as BBC El Mundo and El País so that they are comfortable with not only the grammar and vocab but also current affairs. You can subscribe to newsletters or download the app and get notifications. BBC El Mundo is the standard of Spanish you're aiming for with A level.

Also, I recently created a video on transitioning from GCSE to A level Spanish (it can also be applied to other languages tbh) - check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_847f3x5csQ

I hope that's given you a perspective on Spanish at A-level?

Drew
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (24)
13.56%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.78%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
5.08%
I need help with my personal statement (74)
41.81%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (41)
23.16%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.69%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (14)
7.91%

Watched Threads