A-Levels before ACCA? Watch

sl1k91
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I am about to start doing my A-Levels and have chosen Maths, Business, Economics and Sociology.

I was wondering whether it would be useful to do an Accounting A-level part time aswell, as i am looking to do ACCA after my A-Levels?

Thanks.
cviji
Report 10 years ago
Will be very difficult. Generally you do AAT first for 2 years and then move on to ACA.

The reason, I beleive is the firm can get government funding as an apprentice if you do AAT. I cant see a firm wanting to pay you to start ACA without a relevant degree as you wont be financially benefical to them.
warrior88
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ofcourse it will be useful,
sl1k91
(Original post by GHOSH-5)
just a short sidetrack, cant you do a-levels, then degree, then ACA?
I would rather do ACCA tbh, get the quallification and start working. I think doing a Degree would take up too much extra time.
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the accountancy a level is very similar to the first 2 exams of the ACCA so it will be very useful if you do the ACCA

did you know you can register onto the ACCA at any time and it is not time restricted so you coudl i ntheory do the ACCA aprt time instead of the a level (you may have to be 18 to sign up tho)

the only downside is that some places (esp larger) dont liek it if you have already started doing the acca as they want you 'fresh'.
thisismyusername
Report 10 years ago
sl1k91 - doing an accountacy A level might be useful, but it's not essential. ACCA's entry requirements are: two A Levels and three GCSEs or equivalent in five separate subjects, including English and Mathematics.

I'm planning on taking the same route as the OP as I don't particularly want the university experience or the huge sum of debt afterwards, and was actually wondering whether with AS grades equivalent to 2 A2 level grades, I could start the ACCA after completing the first year of 6th form.

ACCA requires you to be 18. I'll be 18 in December '09, which means I could take the June exams in 2010. Does anyone know if this is actually possible?
sl1k91
(Original post by Clubber Lang)

the only downside is that some places (esp larger) dont liek it if you have already started doing the acca as they want you 'fresh'.
So do you mean after my A-Levels i can look for an accountancy job and then after starting work, start the ACCA course?
thisismyusername
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sl1k91)
So do you mean after my A-Levels i can look for an accountancy job and then after starting work, start the ACCA course?
EY offer ungraduate vacancies: https://www.careers.ey.gtios.com/Vac...edCriteria.asp

Also, BDO Stoy Hayward have a Commercial Trainee Scheme which allows you to study towards an ACA at the same time as gaining relevant work experience in the accounting sector. (http://www.bdo.co.uk/BDOSH/Website/b...E?OpenDocument)
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sl1k91)
You dont need to do a degree to do the ACCA

So a lot of companies do take on A level people, they may also start you off on something like the AAT which then goes on to an ACCA.
Bwilson803
Report 10 years ago
Im with a Big 4 firm at the moment that I joined 2 years ago on their school leaver scheme, and they put us through the ACCA qualification.

This might be something you should look into. I didn't want to go to Uni for pretty much the same reason, the huge amount of student debt that you leave with, and being able to join a Big 4 firm straight from A-levels means they sponsor you through the qualification and you get paid a decent salary throughout. In fact, in the firm I work for you move onto the Graduate pay band after a year and a bit ... so in effect you end up being a 'grad' after around a year of working ... skipping the other 2/3 years you would have spent in Uni!

Thisismyusername - Im pretty sure that you need to have completed the full A-Levels to start completing the ACCA exams, but I would check to make sure with the ACCA.
thisismyusername
Report 10 years ago
Bwilson803 - I phoned the ACCA up the other day and actually asked if I could start ACCA with GCSE results that were the equivalent of 2 A2 levels, but was told that I could do this with AS levels instead. I thought that it seems a little dubious starting the ACCA in the middle of completing A levels and just wondered if anyone else might have done this.

Are the undergraduate schemes for Big 4 firms quite competitive?
Bwilson803
Report 10 years ago
Hey, there we go then, pretty good that you can start it early.

Both the school leaver and the undergraduate schemes are pretty competitive in pretty much all of the Big 4 firms, don't know the statistics, but not many that apply get all the way through the recruitment process, in fact quite a lot of apps get chucked out at the Application stage.

It's not impossible though .. its just because there are so many people applying so you need to show that you're worth the money they spend on putting you through the qualification.
nik987
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am studing ACCA at the moment, I have a levels in maths bio and chem. I didnt do a degree, or AAT or anything else. I have passed the first 3 exams so far and I dont think i have suffered not having any previous accounting knowledge. There were people in my class at college who had done AAT or accounting a level and they were going over some of the same stuff again so i guess in that respect it is useful to have, but it is easily possible without it.

As for starting while doing your a levels, i wouldnt bother, most employers will take you on as a trainee and wont expect you to have started ACCA. I would concentrate on getting good a level results cos after all thats what employers look at when taking on a trainee.
sl1k91
(Original post by nik987)
I am studing ACCA at the moment, I have a levels in maths bio and chem. I didnt do a degree, or AAT or anything else. I have passed the first 3 exams so far and I dont think i have suffered not having any previous accounting knowledge. There were people in my class at college who had done AAT or accounting a level and they were going over some of the same stuff again so i guess in that respect it is useful to have, but it is easily possible without it.

As for starting while doing your a levels, i wouldnt bother, most employers will take you on as a trainee and wont expect you to have started ACCA. I would concentrate on getting good a level results cos after all thats what employers look at when taking on a trainee.
When do you plan on finishing? part qualified or full? And also do you know if u can get into tha big four with just ACCA?
nik987
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, I dont know, i have got about 11 exams left i think. Ive only done 3. I planned on doing 2 or 3 exams a year until i was qualified. That was until i discovered i hate accountancy and am going to give it up. not very helpful sorry!

as for the big 4, i wouldnt have a clue. I've never looked into working for them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (105)
19.48%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
41.19%
Nope, not that interesting (212)
39.33%

Watched Threads