[Golden Thread] If you were president for a day, what rule would you enforce?

Watch
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
This is a golden thread. Join in with this discussion before 20th August 2020 to be in with a chance of winning an Amazon Voucher! The more you post, the higher your chance of winning :yep: But remember not to spam or your post will be removed :nope:

So, quite simple really. If you had all that power for 24 hours, what's the one rule you'd enforce- and why?

Here's the list of 2020 golden threads:

Golden ThreadsWhat will you miss about lockdown?
Sum up 2020 so far in a gif/meme
What would you change your TSR username to, and why?
If you could only listen to one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?
What do you think the world will look like in 5 years time?
If you were president for the day, what rule would you enforce?
What did you accomplish during lockdown?
How has lockdown changed your role?
What's the most useful thing you learnt at school?
Design a sandwich for 8472 to eat
How has lockdown changed your exercise regime?
Last edited by Lemur14; 2 weeks ago
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Comfy clothes Friday.

I would love to see all the MPs in the House of Commons in pjs and slippers!
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
President of the world? Do you mean Prime minister?
physicsamor
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
All billionaires have 24 hours to become a millionaire ethically.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Were I in charge for a day, the first decision I would make it that clocks never go back in the winter again. Negative feelings about winter are exacerbated by the clocks going back, and far fewer people have early starts since the ending of coal mining and parts of manufacturing.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No lying in public office :lol:
Hellohsjakodsmka
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Everyone gets vaccinated
Becca216
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Cheesy Chips with gravey just being handed out everywhere for free

Honestly if you have never had cheesy chips with gravy I strongly recommend you try it is much nicer than it sounds :yes:
josie71202
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
enforce taxes for every company and probably spend that money on accessibility for disabled people
Becca216
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ooo also I would bad ‘are my GCSEs good enough for oxbridge’ threads....although I wish I could do that for more than a day...
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No more posting Entertainment threads in Life and Style to abuse the anon function. :security:
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Stricter on plastics, their manufacture, disposal and recycling methods + fund more on recycling of unnecessary waste such as in electricals
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
People have to be kind, no more unnecessary being nasty to each other because that sucks.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'd transfer all government revenue into my personal savings account.

#SorryNotSorry
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Get rid of that changing the clocks nonsense
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would change my title to global Overlord! And announce 1 day lasts for a period of 26836895278953778 hours.
username5301604
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Legalize marijuana, especially medical. And release prisoners with minor drug offences and expunge their records. (:
spotify95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Make it illegal to manufacture consumer products which are difficult/impossible to self-repair.
Enforce heavy fines on companies that produce laptops that are unable to be upgraded past factory manufacturer's hardware (this prevents devices from becoming inadequate and going to e-waste).
Make it illegal to, and enforce heavy fines on, manufacturers and/or items that have built in planned obsolescence (such as devices substantially slowing down at a prescribed time frame or items shutting themselves down for no reason because you've used them X times).
Limit how many plastic items can be manufactured and introduce a recycling scheme whereby anything made of plastic can be recycled at a machine for a small reward e.g. 10p per recycled plastic bottle. The same goes for metal (e.g. drinks cans) and anything else that can be recycled, which would otherwise find itself in landfills/oceans etc etc.
Keep with either GMT or BST as the UK time zone - no swapping between the two.
Ban all types of fluorescent and CFL lamps as they contain mercury (and prone to failure through repeated on/off cycles) and reintroduce incandescent and halogen lamps.
Make it so that the mobile phone companies have to broadcast 3G as a minimum on ALL mobile phone sites and immediately shut down 2G telecommunications (completely obsolete). Give out free 3G/4G handsets for those who rely on 2G.
Re-introduce local radio stations and ban semi-national stations from having the same output on 5 or 6 different frequencies in the same area (yes, this does happen!).

There are loads of other things I could implement but it would make the post too long
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by spotify95)
Make it illegal to manufacture consumer products which are difficult/impossible to self-repair.
Enforce heavy fines on companies that produce laptops that are unable to be upgraded past factory manufacturer's hardware (this prevents devices from becoming inadequate and going to e-waste).
Make it illegal to, and enforce heavy fines on, manufacturers and/or items that have built in planned obsolescence (such as devices substantially slowing down at a prescribed time frame or items shutting themselves down for no reason because you've used them X times).
Limit how many plastic items can be manufactured and introduce a recycling scheme whereby anything made of plastic can be recycled at a machine for a small reward e.g. 10p per recycled plastic bottle. The same goes for metal (e.g. drinks cans) and anything else that can be recycled, which would otherwise find itself in landfills/oceans etc etc.
Keep with either GMT or BST as the UK time zone - no swapping between the two.
Ban all types of fluorescent and CFL lamps as they contain mercury (and prone to failure through repeated on/off cycles) and reintroduce incandescent and halogen lamps.
Make it so that the mobile phone companies have to broadcast 3G as a minimum on ALL mobile phone sites and immediately shut down 2G telecommunications (completely obsolete). Give out free 3G/4G handsets for those who rely on 2G.
Re-introduce local radio stations and ban semi-national stations from having the same output on 5 or 6 different frequencies in the same area (yes, this does happen!).

There are loads of other things I could implement but it would make the post too long
Choose one rule :fuhrer: lol
SnowMiku
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I really want to say "No calling Miku an anime character" but there's probably better things.

I'd change the UK voting system (I guess this is a rule?) to a proportional method, e.g STV.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (123)
25.2%
Better than expected (101)
20.7%
Worse than expected (264)
54.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise