[Golden Thread] If you were president for a day, what rule would you enforce?

Watch
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SoulfulTwist)
Choose one rule :fuhrer: lol
I feel the emoji is probably not the best in this situation
TSR Professor
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'd evict Trump and forbid him from returning.
spotify95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
:yep: They are all good rules and would make the world a better place.

Any particular reasoning why you chose this rule over the others?
Because 2G technology is holding back the UK's mobile networks and the capacity can easily be switched across to 4G, thereby making everyone's data connections much faster .

3G technology is fine for calls and texts (and all phones that aren't bricks support it), plus it can do data at a reasonable pace (up to 20Mbps) for those phones (or areas) that aren't 4G yet. Then use 4G for the heavy stuff, delivering over 100Mbps+ in some areas.
The only phones that would be affected by switching off 2G are old non-smartphones, as well as some early smartphones like the iPhone 2G (the first one). I doubt there's that many people who use a first generation iPhone as their daily driver!

When I first started using decent smartphones, I immediately noticed that 2G wasn't good for anything besides calls and texts (and even then, calls are much worse quality in 2G). When I used a Samsung Galaxy S4 as my main phone, it would choose a strong 2G signal over a weaker 3G one, and of course streaming media (such as Spotify and Tunein Radio) would completely fail. With the former, you're ok if you start under 3G and drop back to 2G (or nothing), as most of the song would have loaded under 3G. With Tunein Radio, you need a constant data rate - which 2G doesn't have the oomph to deliver.
My Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge doesn't have this issue as I was able to disable 2G under the phone settings, so I get a reliable 3G/4G service which is good for everything, including streaming media.

And of course, anyone who would be affected by switching off 2G, you would give them a 3G (or better phone). They do still make 3G non-smartphones for anyone who can't use, or doesn't want to use, a smartphone .
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by spotify95)
Because 2G technology is holding back the UK's mobile networks and the capacity can easily be switched across to 4G, thereby making everyone's data connections much faster .

3G technology is fine for calls and texts (and all phones that aren't bricks support it), plus it can do data at a reasonable pace (up to 20Mbps) for those phones (or areas) that aren't 4G yet. Then use 4G for the heavy stuff, delivering over 100Mbps+ in some areas.
The only phones that would be affected by switching off 2G are old non-smartphones, as well as some early smartphones like the iPhone 2G (the first one). I doubt there's that many people who use a first generation iPhone as their daily driver!

When I first started using decent smartphones, I immediately noticed that 2G wasn't good for anything besides calls and texts (and even then, calls are much worse quality in 2G). When I used a Samsung Galaxy S4 as my main phone, it would choose a strong 2G signal over a weaker 3G one, and of course streaming media (such as Spotify and Tunein Radio) would completely fail. With the former, you're ok if you start under 3G and drop back to 2G (or nothing), as most of the song would have loaded under 3G. With Tunein Radio, you need a constant data rate - which 2G doesn't have the oomph to deliver.
My Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge doesn't have this issue as I was able to disable 2G under the phone settings, so I get a reliable 3G/4G service which is good for everything, including streaming media.

And of course, anyone who would be affected by switching off 2G, you would give them a 3G (or better phone). They do still make 3G non-smartphones for anyone who can't use, or doesn't want to use, a smartphone .
Tbh I didn't know people still used 2G
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I was of the generation where we had 2G has a step up from Edge! Yes I am that old...
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
I was of the generation where we had 2G has a step up from Edge! Yes I am that old...
Until a few years ago, some mobile phone masts were still GPRS @ 55kbps* or EDGE @ 220kbps*...
A couple of networks in particular only covered rural areas with GPRS/EDGE, you had to be in a town or city to get 3G (or 4G).

*these are theoretical maximum speeds, of course real world speed is lower - say 30-40kbps for GPRS or 100-150kbps for EDGE...
Therefore, both are about as hopeless as each other for anything other than basic tasks (plain text websites, emails with no attachments or media, whatsapp messages with no media content, etc etc). Audio streaming simply will not work, unless you're using a ridiculously low bitrate.

Unfortunately, people do still use 2G for calls and texts. It's mostly for basic non-smartphones though.
In fact, even the re-release of the Nokia 3310 is still 2G only: https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_gb/nokia-3310
At least they do offer a 3G variant: https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_gb/nokia-3310-3g

Before the 4G rollout a few years ago, most places had 3G if you were on EE or 3UK. If you were on Vodafone or O2, and you were away from a town or city, you'd be stuck with 2G. Thankfully, there are very few places that still rely on 2G as the only mobile network standard.
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Until a few years ago, some mobile phone masts were still GPRS @ 55kbps* or EDGE @ 220kbps*...
A couple of networks in particular only covered rural areas with GPRS/EDGE, you had to be in a town or city to get 3G (or 4G).

*these are theoretical maximum speeds, of course real world speed is lower - say 30-40kbps for GPRS or 100-150kbps for EDGE...
Therefore, both are about as hopeless as each other for anything other than basic tasks (plain text websites, emails with no attachments or media, whatsapp messages with no media content, etc etc). Audio streaming simply will not work, unless you're using a ridiculously low bitrate.

Unfortunately, people do still use 2G for calls and texts. It's mostly for basic non-smartphones though.
In fact, even the re-release of the Nokia 3310 is still 2G only: https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_gb/nokia-3310
At least they do offer a 3G variant: https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_gb/nokia-3310-3g

Before the 4G rollout a few years ago, most places had 3G if you were on EE or 3UK. If you were on Vodafone or O2, and you were away from a town or city, you'd be stuck with 2G. Thankfully, there are very few places that still rely on 2G as the only mobile network standard.
I was also the generation of dial up. Having to cut off internet for parents to use the phone and that awful sound of dial up! - I know someone actually who has that as their ringtone
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I just didn't have a phone then

I see. Thanks
Anon. Ymous
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I'd bring back the death penalty in my country for major crimes e.g. Rape, murder etc
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anon. Ymous)
I'd bring back the death penalty in my country for major crimes e.g. Rape, murder etc
Which country is that?
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anon. Ymous)
Or just move to USA
SusannaW
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I would increase spending on renewable energy
Anon. Ymous
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
South Africa
Which country is that?
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Politicians would have to outwardly respect one another, and no debating or discussion time would be wasted with insults or shouting over one another.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I was also the generation of dial up. Having to cut off internet for parents to use the phone and that awful sound of dial up! - I know someone actually who has that as their ringtone
Some of my friends are still using dial-up.
Yahoo email too.
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I just didn't have a phone then

I see. Thanks
No worries
The main problems occurred when I had a Samsung Galaxy S4 as my main phone - previously with my old Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus (and yes, I still have that phone, it's not e-waste yet!), it would choose a weak 3G signal, and only to 2G when there was nothing else. The Galaxy S4 jumped to 2G whenever it pleased - often when there was still a weak 3G service available (this was pre-4G) and this hindered streaming media quite severely...
Even when 4G was launched, the S4 still jumped to 2G...
When I got my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, there was an option to disable 2G in the settings, whilst keeping everything else... needless to say, that's the settng still in use today.

Hence my motivation to get rid of 2G, as it is a very archaic technology that is not designed for use in the 21st century!
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Some of my friends are still using dial-up.
Yahoo email too.
Whaaa?? Why? *confused*
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Whaaa?? Why? *confused*
Most don't like to change their routine and are very reluctant to try new technology.
A few living in america get 10-12 hours a month of dial up internet free.
medicalsupernova
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
All multinational coorporations as well as large companies within the country, pay all their taxes and these would then be used for other things like the NHS, educational services and helping disadvantaged people.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
I'd give everyone on benefits their yearly amount in one lump sum and give them access to budgeting advice, as one massive social experiment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (100)
38.61%
Take autumn exams (83)
32.05%
Look for a job (8)
3.09%
Consider an apprenticeship (8)
3.09%
Take a year out (44)
16.99%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
6.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed