The Student Room Group

Changing my course??

I want to go into the media industry after university - I’m not entirely sure what job exactly, possibly something such as advertising. I am currently down for studying English Lit and Language for September, but for a while now i've been worried that i made a wrong choice, and i should have picked media and communications instead. I finally sucked up the courage to email my uni about possibly changing my course to media (they have not replied yet), but now i’m starting to think that i should stay with english? I could achieve the same career with that degree, and i have heard lots of people say that media is a useless degree? I took media at A-Level and it was my favourite subject, but is it really worth me changing to a degree that i may enjoy more, but in the end may not get me into a job I want? I have always found english much harder but it may pay off in the long run. Sorry if this is confusing, I just need some outside opinions!

Edit - I’ve decided to stick with English. Thank you to everyone who commented!! x
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by gia23
I want to go into the media industry after university - I’m not entirely sure what job exactly, possibly something such as advertising. I am currently down for studying English Lit and Language for September, but for a while now i've been worried that i made a wrong choice, and i should have picked media and communications instead. I finally sucked up the courage to email my uni about possibly changing my course to media (they have not replied yet), but now i’m starting to think that i should stay with english? I could achieve the same career with that degree, and i have heard lots of people say that media is a useless degree? I took media at A-Level and it was my favourite subject, but is it really worth me changing to a degree that i may enjoy more, but in the end may not get me into a job I want? I have always found english much harder but it may pay off in the long run. Sorry if this is confusing, I just need some outside opinions!

Try to contact them again but remember that many staffs are on summer break. Usually you can change the course within the same University you have applied to, but if you wish to go to a different University, then I am not sure, I'm afraid.

If you wish to work in the media industry in the future, it is always a good idea to do the course, especially the course you believe you will enjoy.
Reply 2
Original post by GatoMessi
Try to contact them again but remember that many staffs are on summer break. Usually you can change the course within the same University you have applied to, but if you wish to go to a different University, then I am not sure, I'm afraid.

If you wish to work in the media industry in the future, it is always a good idea to do the course, especially the course you believe you will enjoy.

The course is within the same university, and I’ll try contact them if they haven't said anything by the end of the week :smile: Thank you so much for the comment, and i’ll definitely think about what you said!!
You don't actually need a media degree to have a career in media. People actually get into media with degrees in English, psychology science etc. I think one thing to consider is that job prospects in media aren't the best but don't let that put you off if that's your dream. If your uni said no it's defo not the end of the world because of the fact you can still pursue a career this way. idk what uni you're planning on going to but check if they have a modularity system where you can take some credits outside your degree e.g if you stick with English you could take media credits.

I say that 1) you have a good chance of getting the degree change bc it's the same uni 2) despite the opinions of a media degree, if you think you're more likely to do well in media go for it. A first in media would be better than a 2:2 in English
Reply 4
Original post by Dechante
You don't actually need a media degree to have a career in media. People actually get into media with degrees in English, psychology science etc. I think one thing to consider is that job prospects in media aren't the best but don't let that put you off if that's your dream. If your uni said no it's defo not the end of the world because of the fact you can still pursue a career this way. idk what uni you're planning on going to but check if they have a modularity system where you can take some credits outside your degree e.g if you stick with English you could take media credits.

I say that 1) you have a good chance of getting the degree change bc it's the same uni 2) despite the opinions of a media degree, if you think you're more likely to do well in media go for it. A first in media would be better than a 2:2 in English

Thank you so much for the comment!! I decided to withdraw the application to media for the reasons you stated in your first point - they honestly prefer English over media, I’ve looked into the modules again as well (my uni is cardiff), and there are a few which are catered to communication and digital media anyway - so i might as well take those modules in this degree rather than change it completely lol. So I’m just going to try stick it out with English and try to heavily avoid the aspects i dislike - again, thankyou so much for commenting!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending