International student securing a training contract

Watch
Dina28.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi, I am an international student studying through UOL local teaching centre, and honestly my family and I are not well off enough to pay for my LPC in London and I am really hoping for either a Scholarship or Training Contract, can someone give me advice on the procedure, how can I secure one and what are my chances, I am willing to work really hard to achieve it.
MannBradshaw
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Dina28.)
Hi, I am an international student studying through UOL local teaching centre, and honestly my family and I are not well off enough to pay for my LPC in London and I am really hoping for either a Scholarship or Training Contract, can someone give me advice on the procedure, how can I secure one and what are my chances, I am willing to work really hard to achieve it.
What year are you in at university? From your second year I’d start looking at firms that you think might be fit for you and researching their training contract deadlines! Usually it’s an application form, online tests, telephone interview then an assessment centre.
If you secure a TC most firms especially larger ones do fund your lpc as part of the contract so definitely look into whether the firm does! In regards to how successful you’ll be it is very competitive and the more you research the firm the more likely you’ll be to secure a TC! Go to insight evenings and open days at different firms and look around!
Dina28.
Rep:
?
(Original post by MannBradshaw)
What year are you in at university? From your second year I’d start looking at firms that you think might be fit for you and researching their training contract deadlines! Usually it’s an application form, online tests, telephone interview then an assessment centre.
If you secure a TC most firms especially larger ones do fund your lpc as part of the contract so definitely look into whether the firm does! In regards to how successful you’ll be it is very competitive and the more you research the firm the more likely you’ll be to secure a TC! Go to insight evenings and open days at different firms and look around!
I will be starting in September and thank you for the advice, another question do I have to do my Bar Practice Course first before doing my LPC?
Johnny ~
Badges: 12
Report 2 weeks ago
The LPC is on its way out. You may have to sit the SQE instead. https://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitor...ng-examination

International students are limited somewhat because they have to apply to a firm that can sponsor a Tier 4 visa (usually larger commercial law firms). They may also fall afoul of the resident labour market test (Google this) if applying from abroad.

You haven't given us any information about your CV and grades, so we can't help you on that front.
Dina28.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Johnny ~)
The LPC is on its way out. You may have to sit the SQE instead. https://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitor...ng-examination

International students are limited somewhat because they have to apply to a firm that can sponsor a Tier 4 visa (usually larger commercial law firms). They may also fall afoul of the resident labour market test (Google this) if applying from abroad.

You haven't given us any information about your CV and grades, so we can't help you on that front.
My CV? I am from the Caribbean and just finished Cape this year, awaiting my results, last year for my first unit I got one 1 and three 2s, I'm already in with the local teaching centre ILAS so I want to find out about after the three years here what will I have to do
Johnny ~
Badges: 12
Report 2 weeks ago
My CV? I am from the Caribbean and just finished Cape this year, awaiting my results, last year for my first unit I got one 1 and three 2s, I'm already in with the local teaching centre ILAS so I want to find out about after the three years here what will I have to do
A few questions for the sake of the rest of the users on here: What's Cape and ILAS? What would your exam results translate into under the UK system? Where in your class would you rank, approximately?
Dina28.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Johnny ~)
A few questions for the sake of the rest of the users on here: What's Cape and ILAS? What would your exam results translate into under the UK system? Where in your class would you rank, approximately?
CAPE- Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations, this is the equivalent to A Levels in the UK, (previously it was A Levels but later changed to CAPE) and ILAS- Institute of Law and Academic Studies, when applying to UOL and I put my country, this school is listed as one of their teaching centres. Generally from what I understand from past students, we attend ILAS here for three years and then have the option of doing the bar Practice Course in the UK campus or in a local law school called Hugh Wooding Law School, for me I would like to migrate to London permanently after I have completed my necessary education so I hope to come to the UK to do my Bar Practice Course, and after completing the Bar Practice Course, I would have to return to my home country to be called to the Bar and become an official lawyer, my aim is to be a Solicitor and I know that I have to do LPC do be that so I would like to know if I have to do both the Bar Practice Course and afterwards then my LPC (I am also aware soon it will be the SQE) or just one of them?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (180)
24.73%
Better than expected (146)
20.05%
Worse than expected (402)
55.22%

Watched Threads