Mental Reset Help/Advice

Watch
tetris179
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi guys,
I never thought I'd be one of those people who become properly affected by the whole lockdown situation - but I have come to the conclusion I have .
I've been putting it off thinking maybe I'll just get over it but it's not going away: so here I am lols.

I'm a hard worker in school - predicted AAB - Medicine aspirations, Russell Group aspirations, top 10% of the year, senior prefect etc etc.

However, recently, especially the last month (15/06 onwards), I haven't been doing any work at all - this isn't an exaggeration, I literally have done zero work.

My screen time is regularly 10 hours a day (all on snapchat/instagram/disney +).
I'm constantly fatigued for some reason, when I'm not on my phone, I'm laying in bed doing nothing - not even reading (which I tend to enjoy).

I physically can't make myself work! I literally can not sit down, and work for more than 5 minutes without being distracted. I find it so difficult and it's scaring me because I've never coped with something like this before: it's simply never been a problem for me until now.

I have a month's worth of school work
I have revision to do for ucat + bmat
I have to make revision notes for the whole of year 1 content (bio/chem/psych)
I have to practice this content too (we have tests in september that affec our predicted grades - majorly important).
On top of this, I have a few lesser important things such as once a weelk volunteering.

If this was pre-lockdown, it would be a piece of cake - like I said, I'm a hard worker and I work well. But that's not the case anymore.

I go out a lot too - for fresh air. I ride my bike, I see my friends, I have a social life etc but I just can't work.

Any advice on how to get back on the grind? How do I clear my head? It's so full of worry and stress for real.
Thanks for reading it all
emma543
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by tetris179)
Hi guys,
I never thought I'd be one of those people who become properly affected by the whole lockdown situation - but I have come to the conclusion I have .
I've been putting it off thinking maybe I'll just get over it but it's not going away: so here I am lols.

I'm a hard worker in school - predicted AAB - Medicine aspirations, Russell Group aspirations, top 10% of the year, senior prefect etc etc.

However, recently, especially the last month (15/06 onwards), I haven't been doing any work at all - this isn't an exaggeration, I literally have done zero work.

My screen time is regularly 10 hours a day (all on snapchat/instagram/disney +).
I'm constantly fatigued for some reason, when I'm not on my phone, I'm laying in bed doing nothing - not even reading (which I tend to enjoy).

I physically can't make myself work! I literally can not sit down, and work for more than 5 minutes without being distracted. I find it so difficult and it's scaring me because I've never coped with something like this before: it's simply never been a problem for me until now.

I have a month's worth of school work
I have revision to do for ucat + bmat
I have to make revision notes for the whole of year 1 content (bio/chem/psych)
I have to practice this content too (we have tests in september that affec our predicted grades - majorly important).
On top of this, I have a few lesser important things such as once a weelk volunteering.

If this was pre-lockdown, it would be a piece of cake - like I said, I'm a hard worker and I work well. But that's not the case anymore.

I go out a lot too - for fresh air. I ride my bike, I see my friends, I have a social life etc but I just can't work.

Any advice on how to get back on the grind? How do I clear my head? It's so full of worry and stress for real.
Thanks for reading it all
First of all, know your are not alone! I would defo suggest reaching out to friends and family for support- even teachers (it might be the summer but I bet if you emailed they would get back to you )

To get back on the grind- I would suggest identifying your goals for the summer holidays which you have obvs done. I would then make a to-do list first thing every morning. So let's say tomorrow...
1) 30 minutes of BMAT
2) 30 minutes of UCAT
3) 1 hour worth of school work you have missed over lockdown
4) 30 minutes of making Chemistry notes.
Obviously you can increase the time- but try not to be overly ambitious- you might even find that once you have started you'll get the motivation.

I would also suggest getting up earlier i.e. 8.30-9.00 ish. Get up, make your bed, get dressed, have some breakfast, brush your teeth and you are ready for the day!

To clear your head, as I first said talk, reach out for help- everyone needs it at some point! I would advise going out really- take your mind off things

Hope you feel better- and hope this helps!
tetris179
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by emma543)
First of all, know your are not alone! I would defo suggest reaching out to friends and family for support- even teachers (it might be the summer but I bet if you emailed they would get back to you )

To get back on the grind- I would suggest identifying your goals for the summer holidays which you have obvs done. I would then make a to-do list first thing every morning. So let's say tomorrow...
1) 30 minutes of BMAT
2) 30 minutes of UCAT
3) 1 hour worth of school work you have missed over lockdown
4) 30 minutes of making Chemistry notes.
Obviously you can increase the time- but try not to be overly ambitious- you might even find that once you have started you'll get the motivation.

I would also suggest getting up earlier i.e. 8.30-9.00 ish. Get up, make your bed, get dressed, have some breakfast, brush your teeth and you are ready for the day!

To clear your head, as I first said talk, reach out for help- everyone needs it at some point! I would advise going out really- take your mind off things

Hope you feel better- and hope this helps!
yeah thanks for the advice. I get up at 7 anyway so that's sweet.
But yes I think I need to be less ambitious - I'm trying to do so much in one day but I guess it makes sense to start slow. Thanks a lot
emma543
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by tetris179)
yeah thanks for the advice. I get up at 7 anyway so that's sweet.
But yes I think I need to be less ambitious - I'm trying to do so much in one day but I guess it makes sense to start slow. Thanks a lot
It's no problem! Have you found yourself getting anymore productive? Or feeling better in yourself?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (154)
38.4%
Take autumn exams (123)
30.67%
Look for a job (14)
3.49%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.24%
Take a year out (68)
16.96%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (25)
6.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed