Americanisms You Can't Stand

Watch
JDINCINERATOR
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
What Americanisms get on your nerves? As much as I appreciate all that Americans have given the world and us Brits-language is one thing I have to cringe at. I do condone the use of "takeout" as a stand-in for takeaway. If I ever say takeout I'll do it with a mocking American accent because it sounds so nonchalant to me. Aluminum instead of aluminium-the latter sounds like a metal, whereas the former sounds like a chemical of some kind. What Americanisms can't you stand?
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't personally have anything against American people, except some of the accents.
rxyaltyx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
they call indicator lights blinkers cos they blink
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The season that follows summer is autumn. The Fall were a post-punk band fronted by Mark E Smith and whoever could get on with him at the time.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Name:  FB_IMG_1595698282142.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  8.4 KB
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
'Hold down the fort'
'Crush'
'Season' instead of 'Series'
Goldie-Is-King
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
LovelyMrFox
Sorry i thought you said americans
Only joking fox your brilliant really
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Calling quarters 'fourths' but only selectively. WHY?!
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
super racist
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It shouldnt 'bother' you that another part of the world says things differently to how you do.
LovelyMrFox
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Goldie-Is-King)
LovelyMrFox
Sorry i thought you said americans
Only joking fox your brilliant really
I feel the love :emo:
Chopinnocturne31
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
super racist
(Original post by LovelyMrFox)
It shouldnt 'bother' you that another part of the world says things differently to how you do.
I think it’s mainly the whole Brits find Americans annoying thing. I don’t think it’s anything super serious lol
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Calling uni 'school', they're too different for that
JDINCINERATOR
Rep:
?
(Original post by LovelyMrFox)
It shouldn't but it does it genuinely irks some people including me. If the way Americans say things don't impact you in any way then good, it's good thing you aren't irked, but again there are many people who just can't stand the way Americans speak the English language-must be our feeling of ownership over it.
nellybelly29
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As an American who did their degree in the UK I find this funny, I'm sure I annoyed my flatmates to no end with my Americanisms. Just a comment, the aluminum vs aluminium thing I think it's justified we say it differently because they're spelled differently lolol. Other things we've just got totally different pronounciations but at least those are different spellings ahha. Also most Americans I know call indicator lights turn signals...not blinkers. I've definitely heard that but in my day-to-day I hear 'turn signal' more than 'blinker'. But that might be regional.

I think it's fine to have things that bother you about the way we speak English as long as it stays lighthearted. God knows there's a lot of things that I find endlessly frustrating about the UK. But it's definitely interesting how we speak the same language and at times it really doesn't seem to be the same language at all
Last edited by nellybelly29; 2 weeks ago
Chopinnocturne31
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JDINCINERATOR)
It shouldn't but it does it genuinely irks some people including me. If the way Americans say things don't impact you in any way then good, it's good thing you aren't irked, but again there are many people who just can't stand the way Americans speak the English language-must be our feeling of ownership over it.
I think LovelyMrFox is American lol. I might be wrong though so sorry if I am. I don’t want to offend anyone 😬
JDINCINERATOR
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chopinnocturne31)
I think LovelyMrFox is American lol. I might be wrong though so sorry if I am. I don’t want to offend anyone 😬
There's no need to take this post seriously it's just amusing and I'm sure Americans have plenty of ammunition to fire our way because our version of the English language can be atrocious too.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JDINCINERATOR)
What Americanisms get on your nerves? As much as I appreciate all that Americans have given the world and us Brits-language is one thing I have to cringe at. I do condone the use of "takeout" as a stand-in for takeaway. If I ever say takeout I'll do it with a mocking American accent because it sounds so nonchalant to me. Aluminum instead of aluminium-the latter sounds like a metal, whereas the former sounds like a chemical of some kind. What Americanisms can't you stand?
Aluminum isn’t an americanism. Aluminium is a britishism. We changed the spelling and pronunciation from the original.
Celtic Conjurer
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Pronouncing herb as erb
Calling chips fries
Calling crisps potato chips
Calling uni college
Pronouncing route so it rhymes with shout
Calling trainers sneakers
Calling trousers pants
Shimo
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Americanisms only bother me when British people use them, that said, past tense words is probably the most annoying thing. It's 'dreamt', not 'dreamed', it's 'burnt', not 'burned'. 'Whilst' and 'while' are also rather annoying
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (212)
60.23%
No they should not (102)
28.98%
Abstain (38)
10.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed