username2244141
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey, I want to apply to do a PGCE next year in Secondary History, but I'm unsure what I need to apply.

I know about the maths/english test, but am unsure when to take this, and I know I need at least 10 days school experience. Is there anything else I need before I apply/have an interview?
remussjhj01
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't think you need to do maths/English test anymore, but double check.
You also don't NEED 10 days school experience. It's recommended, but not necessary, and this year especially, it will probably be harder to get.
You need to research the unis you want to do your PGCE at. You'll be given more info about exactly what you need to do wrt interviews when you apply.
When you actually apply, you'll have to list your GCSE and a-level grades, as well as your degree results/predicted results, so have those ready.
There will be info on the individual uni websites, as well as the get into teaching website, so have a look there.
username2244141
Rep:
?
(Original post by remussjhj01)
I don't think you need to do maths/English test anymore, but double check.
You also don't NEED 10 days school experience. It's recommended, but not necessary, and this year especially, it will probably be harder to get.
You need to research the unis you want to do your PGCE at. You'll be given more info about exactly what you need to do wrt interviews when you apply.
When you actually apply, you'll have to list your GCSE and a-level grades, as well as your degree results/predicted results, so have those ready.
There will be info on the individual uni websites, as well as the get into teaching website, so have a look there.
Oh okay, I'm so bad at maths so that's good!
That's great, thanks
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MartinisSkip)
Hey, I want to apply to do a PGCE next year in Secondary History, but I'm unsure what I need to apply.

I know about the maths/english test, but am unsure when to take this, and I know I need at least 10 days school experience. Is there anything else I need before I apply/have an interview?
Your requirements are a bit out of date- these haven't applied for at least a year.

School experience and volunteering with the age group you want to teach will help a lot, though! The more the better!

I'm assuming you'd be applying for a 2021 start? If so, there's no need to rush to get your application in early- it's better to apply later with a stronger application.
username2244141
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Your requirements are a bit out of date- these haven't applied for at least a year.

School experience and volunteering with the age group you want to teach will help a lot, though! The more the better!

I'm assuming you'd be applying for a 2021 start? If so, there's no need to rush to get your application in early- it's better to apply later with a stronger application.
Oh really? Even the experience?
I've got some school experience already, but it's from last year. But it's good to hear if it's not mandatory, especially right now! I'll still try and get some, whatever I can

Yeah I am, I definitely will wait! I just like making sure I know what I'll have to prepare for
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MartinisSkip)
Oh really? Even the experience?
I've got some school experience already, but it's from last year. But it's good to hear if it's not mandatory, especially right now! I'll still try and get some, whatever I can

Yeah I am, I definitely will wait! I just like making sure I know what I'll have to prepare for
The experience hasn't been mandatory for a while now- longer than the skills tests haven't been required for, as it was often quite difficult to get!

History is still a reasonably competitive subject though, so more experience will always be better- but lots of people will be applying with limited experience this year!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed