advice/question on how to revise for engish lit and language.....

Watch
sarahhhxo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
how to revise for english lit and english language for exams next year for gcses

any revision techniques would help thanks
pretzels2002
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by sarahhhxo)
how to revise for english lit and english language for exams next year for gcses

For English Lit - Mr Bruff videos on youtube are really good. Definitely make flashcards with all your quotes because knowing your quotes is half the battle. And find some practice papers.
For English Lang - honestly, just do practice papers until they are coming out of your ears. That being said, Mr Bruff also does videos on how to answer all the different questions. His channel is really good so definitely check it out. Can you tell I was a fan during my GCSEs? Also, consider doing the same kind of language analysis for a book you're reading in your free time, or anything you're reading, looking for structure, etc... and then write a paragraph or two analysing it from time to time. This will help get you in the habit of just finding things to talk about in a text and also how to write about them.

Hope this was helpful!
sarahhhxo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by pretzels2002)
For English Lit - Mr Bruff videos on youtube are really good. Definitely make flashcards with all your quotes because knowing your quotes is half the battle. And find some practice papers.
For English Lang - honestly, just do practice papers until they are coming out of your ears. That being said, Mr Bruff also does videos on how to answer all the different questions. His channel is really good so definitely check it out. Can you tell I was a fan during my GCSEs? Also, consider doing the same kind of language analysis for a book you're reading in your free time, or anything you're reading, looking for structure, etc... and then write a paragraph or two analysing it from time to time. This will help get you in the habit of just finding things to talk about in a text and also how to write about them.

Hope this was helpful!
oh ok thanks soo much this helped alot thanks wbu how could i achieve an higher grade for both?
pretzels2002
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
oh ok thanks soo much this helped alot thanks wbu how could i achieve an higher grade for both?
To get a higher grade I'd google band 9/8/7 answers and compare them to your own. It might be writting style, but often it's the kind of insights into a text they find. Tbh you can learn certain things to find in a text - in every text - and how to adapt your explanation to fit the question. Reading high level answers will give you the best idea of how to improve your own and maybe steal their phrasing to write more concise and fluid answers.
Ooh and maybe find a markscheme. They often mention how to differentiate between different grade answers for the examiners marking them, like what makes a band 7 answer, etc...
Last edited by pretzels2002; 4 months ago
MusicalMe101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Hi, I just finished year 11.

English lit: For revising characters try making flashcards with techniques and quotes, then link them to different themes. After you get used to the structure for answering questions make sure to do lots of practise questions on different characters and themes. For revising poems, I recommend making a table in which you can write out different themes and the techniques used in each of the poems, and then making a separate table in which you can write out the themes, then list the poems that use each theme and can be used together for the comparison question. I found practise questions very helpful, especially for the unseen poetry so that you are able to incorporate all your knowledge and the information you want to include in your answer in the time given.

English lang: Make sure you know how to use the structure for answering each question (how many paragraphs and what each one should include to receive all the marks available for the question) and practise doing descriptive and narrative writing as well as writing for different audiences. I cannot stress how important it is to do past papers, especially timed ones as your exams get nearer as it is often a couple of minutes that can change your grade. This is also a suggestion, but when doing a practise paper try to do section B on it first, and then completing section A, this doesn't work for everyone but it worked for me and helped me collect as many marks as possible.

If you have any other questions I will be happy to answer them and help as much as I can
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (700)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (881)
42.66%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.46%

Watched Threads