I get triggered/ anxious whenever someone talks about weight loss

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Update: I just talked to her and that went wayyy easier and better than I expected?? She understood and told me she will stop?

She has changed a lot the past two years it seems

Thank you guys for pushing me to do it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yeah like: look I'm a bit sensetive about it now but if you continue to make me so uncomfortable my slight discomfort with weight might turn into a something far more serious. Not mentioning weight won't impact you but mentioning it impacts me so please stop.
I took your advice and the rest of the posters here. It worked. Thank you.

:hugs: I am sorry you are going through this. That kind of behaviour is absolutely triggering and it's little wonder that you have body issues and I'm actually surprised that's not triggered an eating disorder in itself! They sound very toxic to me if they're not going to listen to your concerns and I'd definitely look to live on your own again what that's feasible (it sounds like you're back at your family's at the moment). I've found it useful to make a positivity journal - in my recovery I've been attending a support group online and my homework this week has been to write a positivity journal. On the front cover, I've put pictures of me that trigger happy memories for me and I've written in it lovely messages and comments that friends have sent to and made about me. Would that be something you could try? To remind yourself that you are far more than what your family say about you.

Thanks and same here. I mean they're directed towards the general population and I'm reminding myself of that, but it's just hard to see these adverts which go on about losing weight when a) my task is to maintain my weight right now and b) it's triggering me to want to lose weight again like I did in the height of my ED.
Thank you Definitely. I take it as an example of not what to do when I get kids, haha.

That is a great idea. I will try that out. Thank you!

that is a really good way to think about it. I am so sorry you are going through this :hugs: Sending you a virtual hug.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Pathway)
No, it's actually really good that you recognised ways to help yourself. It's very important to be proactive about your mental health, a lot of people aren't and suffer unnecessarily because of it. I struggle with my body image too, so I get it (I have anorexia nervosa, like another anon has said in this thread, I've been getting frustrated with the ads about weightloss, so I really do relate in various ways). All you can do is challenge yourself when you feel able to, have boundaries and make them known, be kind to yourself and be aware of your needs/wants. You are important just as much as your sister is, etc.
Thank you Oh definitely. I used to be quite passive about things.
I am sorry to hear that :hugs: It can be quite hellish. Sending you a warm hug :hugs:

You are so right. I listened to your advice and it feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulder. Specifically the reminder that my wants and needs are as important as hers. Thanks again.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you Oh definitely. I used to be quite passive about things.
I am sorry to hear that :hugs: It can be quite hellish. Sending you a warm hug :hugs:

You are so right. I listened to your advice and it feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulder. Specifically the reminder that my wants and needs are as important as hers. Thanks again.
Thank you, you're very kind! :jumphug:

I think we are "trained" by society to not think of our own needs/wants, and that's not particularly healthy. It'll take time to listen to yourself in that respect, journalling and writing about things could help you be more aware in that way? It'll bring it more to the front. Just a thought, it does help me. Obviously, being aware of yourself doesn't mean you don't care for others, but you can't pour from an empty cup as they say. You are most welcome.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Pathway)
Thank you, you're very kind! :jumphug:

I think we are "trained" by society to not think of our own needs/wants, and that's not particularly healthy. It'll take time to listen to yourself in that respect, journalling and writing about things could help you be more aware in that way? It'll bring it more to the front. Just a thought, it does help me. Obviously, being aware of yourself doesn't mean you don't care for others, but you can't pour from an empty cup as they say. You are most welcome.
Definitely. I feel like it is especially a thing when you've got low self-esteem? You become more interested in satisfying others as opposed to yourself. But probably a thing we have been conditioned to do by society, true as well.

That's true, I will try that X
Anonymous #1
Why would someone report this thread? :confused: I only asked for advice, haha. Hope I did not trigger anyone's issues, that's the last thing I would want
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Update: I just talked to her and that went wayyy easier and better than I expected?? She understood and told me she will stop?

She has changed a lot the past two years it seems

Thank you guys for pushing me to do it.
Good to hear!

Definitely. I feel like it is especially a thing when you've got low self-esteem? You become more interested in satisfying others as opposed to yourself. But probably a thing we have been conditioned to do by society, true as well.

That's true, I will try that X
Very true, unfortunately.

RE: it being reported, I dunno. I'm sure the mods won't be angry, etc. Don't worry!
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
I took your advice and the rest of the posters here. It worked. Thank you.

Thank you Definitely. I take it as an example of not what to do when I get kids, haha.

That is a great idea. I will try that out. Thank you!

that is a really good way to think about it. I am so sorry you are going through this :hugs: Sending you a virtual hug.
Great to here. Also of she mentions it ever so often just remind her gently and if you ever have a heart to heart, thank her for being so considerate. Good luck 🙂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (154)
38.31%
Take autumn exams (123)
30.6%
Look for a job (14)
3.48%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.23%
Take a year out (69)
17.16%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (25)
6.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed