The Student Room Group

English Major dilemma

Okay I need help. I have no idea what career I wanna get into after I graduate. I'll be doing an English Literature degree in university starting September.

I've done research and found that English degrees are actually respected by lots of employers and can open many doors.

The trouble is I dont have a set career plan or goal I would like to strive towards. When I was little I always wanted to be a vet and I've grown out of that now. However I would love to get into something to do with babies or animals as that's where my passions are.

I'm a fast learner and I also draw in my spare time as a hobby. I'm quite good at it as I did it for GCSE and I've been featured in an art gallery to represent part of my school at one point.

Please can someone give me ideas of what careers would be good for me after I graduate? Any advice would be helpful, thank you! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by thagirlhanna
Okay I need help. I have no idea what career I wanna get into after I graduate. I'll be doing an English Literature degree in university starting September.

I've done research and found that English degrees are actually respected by lots of employers and can open many doors.

The trouble is I dont have a set career plan or goal I would like to strive towards. When I was little I always wanted to be a vet and I've grown out of that now. However I would love to get into something to do with babies or animals as that's where my passions are.

I'm a fast learner and I also draw in my spare time as a hobby. I'm quite good at it as I did it for GCSE and I've been featured in an art gallery to represent part of my school at one point.

Please can someone give me ideas of what careers would be good for me after I graduate? Any advice would be helpful, thank you! :smile:

I'm sure it's one you've already thought of, but receptions class teacher is a wonderful job for someone who likes children (they're not babies I know, but 4/5 year olds are lovely). An English degree would give you a good foundation for this. Most universities have links with local schools that would enable you to get classroom experience which would be good for your CV whether you decided to follow teaching as a career.

Best of luck
Original post by marple
I'm sure it's one you've already thought of, but receptions class teacher is a wonderful job for someone who likes children (they're not babies I know, but 4/5 year olds are lovely). An English degree would give you a good foundation for this. Most universities have links with local schools that would enable you to get classroom experience which would be good for your CV whether you decided to follow teaching as a career.

Best of luck

Thank you for this. I really appreciate it! Unfortunately I'm a little put off with the idea of getting into education with an English degree as that's the only thing anyone ever assumes I can get into even though Education related careers are one of the least common things English graduates get into. I'll keep searching as I've got plenty of time but it helps to know English is broad enough to get into many careers to choose from.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending