Questions about setting up a new account/loan payments Watch

Kater Murr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
OK, I've got an appointment to set up a bank account on monday, as I need the details to give to my new uni/residence soon. Questions:

1. How do I transfer the money from my current account to that one, when I get it?

2. Will I walk out of the appointment with all the information about my account that I need to fill in the forms?

3. What do I need to know to create the account?

4. How do I let the student loans company know that I've changed my account, and the account they need to put my money in is no longer my old HSBC current account?

Help?
Makaveli_The_Don
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
1. You can write a cheque with the sum of money from your other account and then cash it in to your new account. Some banks will let your transfer money by you giving them the details of your other account and they will transfer the money from there.

2. Yes, you should get your account number, sort code etc.

3. You don't need to know anything I think, just your personal details. You should take identification of you and your current address with you.. e.g. bills & passport otherwise they will let not let you open an account.

4. Contact the students loan company and tell them you need to change your bank details. But I'm not really sure on this as I'm not a uni student yet.
Celifein
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you have 'net banking, you can transfer funds online. I think you can do this through phone banking too, but I've never tried (I do everything online). If you have neither of these, do it in branch. It'll probably take a few days to clear, whatever method you use.

You don't need to know anything. You're a sensible sort so I assume you've researched what the bank gives you and read the T&Cs on their website already.

Your UCAS letter doubles as proof of impending student-ship and proof of address. You'll also need ID (e.g. a passport). Also, you may want to check how much money they need you to pay in (it was £100 for Halifax) so you can take enough.

You can change your bank details on the SFD website. Only takes a min. They'll then send you a letter confirming the change of details.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (17)
94.44%
No (1)
5.56%

Watched Threads