The Student Room Group

Accommodation as a single parent

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of going to university as a single parent?
Specifically how they managed financially and finding accommodation as I am really struggling.

Thanks
Reply 1
Hello well done for getting into and going to university. I am a single parent and did go to university and graduated. I found I was better off than being on benefits but huge chunks of money went to rent. I would pay 5-6 months rent to cover myself to the next payment. You are still entitled to child tax credit which may now be a universal credit payment. So that universal credit/ child tax credit payment helps with food and you should be exempt from council tax. If your child is of primary school age there is child care payment support. It’s definitely something you can do and you will make it work so continue with your journey it will be worth it and you will be proud of yourself once you have your degree of this is your first one good luck
Reply 2
Also I’m not sure about accommodation if you don’t already rent somewhere I’m not sure if they have accommodations for parents you will have to check with the university. If you don’t have any joy there maybe there may be another single parent who has a spare room and you can share the rent . I have seen adverts of single parents sharing flats so maybe you can put an advert on here or on gumtree.

Also if your a single parent do you live with your parents If so male sense to stay put.

Also you may want to check out
Hillcroft Women's Education I do
Know that they offer some form of accommodation and child care support onsite and do some degrees.

Quick Reply

Latest