emailing a potential supervisor before applying

Watch
browniecat
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
hey all
i'm a recent chemistry graduate looking for a phd, and i emailed a two supervisors who's phd's i was interested in, a week ago. I haven't sent a formal application to either yet as i wanted to contact them prior to this, however i haven't received any response. Is it normal for them to take this long to respond? I emailed mentioning my degree and classification, research interests and why i would be a good fit (mentioned relevant grades and such) and I had also asked if the position was still available as there was no deadline attached to these adverts and I had seen them around for a while, so i figured they might have been filled but they forgot to take the advert down.
Should I send another email? I would really like to send the application off soon but I heard its quite rude to not speak to the supervisor by email first.
thanks
2500_2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by browniecat)
hey all
i'm a recent chemistry graduate looking for a phd, and i emailed a two supervisors who's phd's i was interested in, a week ago. I haven't sent a formal application to either yet as i wanted to contact them prior to this, however i haven't received any response. Is it normal for them to take this long to respond? I emailed mentioning my degree and classification, research interests and why i would be a good fit (mentioned relevant grades and such) and I had also asked if the position was still available as there was no deadline attached to these adverts and I had seen them around for a while, so i figured they might have been filled but they forgot to take the advert down.
Should I send another email? I would really like to send the application off soon but I heard its quite rude to not speak to the supervisor by email first.
thanks
A week in July is barely any time at all! You could try calling the dept administrator and try finding out how busy they are.
browniecat
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2500_2)
A week in July is barely any time at all! You could try calling the dept administrator and try finding out how busy they are.
oh i see...yeah i'll see if i can do that, although i was hoping to speak to them through email first rather than the phone aha
Keele University
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by browniecat)
hey all
thanks
As 2500_2 says, a week really isn't that long - especially not at the moment given that July and August tend to be when many academic staff take some much-needed annual or research leave.

I'd give them at least another week. If you haven't heard anything after that, maybe drop a polite follow up email just to check that they received your original enquiry and explaining you're keen to submit your application if they feel you would make a suitable candidate.

Amy
browniecat
Rep:
?
thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (135)
24.55%
Better than expected (120)
21.82%
Worse than expected (295)
53.64%

Watched Threads