MadMathsMum
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Guardians0111)
I'm doing health and social care, I'm hoping to get three distinctions. Myy subjects at gcses were

Maths - 4
English - 6 6
Double science - 5-5
Geography - 5
History - 6
Health and social care - D*
Hey don't be down on yourself about your GCSEs - you have 7 GCSEs + your Btec which is considered as an equivalent qualiffication. There will always be those with more! Whilst this is unlikely to get you a place at Oxbridge you have all the bases covered - Maths, English, Science and humanties as well as a practical subject.
My son had similar GCSEs grades an got offers this year at Loughborough, Sussex, UEA and Portsmouth. He awaits results for A Levels - so who knows where he will end up.
Looking at his GCSE "academic" record, his application was "aspirational", however he went for it. He is very keen on his subject and has worked hard. He does struggle with his exams however his teachers had said that he had very good subject knowledge and understanding and he has done well in coursework! He was planning to spend the last 8 weeks working on his exam technique!
My friend is a social worker - she got into this after doing an Open Uni Diploma in Health and Social Care, then a Degree and recently completed her Masters - all whilst working. Her daughter is now training to be a Probation Officer (doing well) - having done a teaching degree.
There are plenty of courses out there that have generic entry requirements subject wise.

Is there a teacher / tutor or maybe a year head leader at school who can help you? The problem with careers advisors is that they don't know you at all - surely someone at school can help you.
Good Luck
Guardians0111
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by MadMathsMum)
Hey don't be down on yourself about your GCSEs - you have 7 GCSEs + your Btec which is considered as an equivalent qualiffication. There will always be those with more! Whilst this is unlikely to get you a place at Oxbridge you have all the bases covered - Maths, English, Science and humanties as well as a practical subject.
My son had similar GCSEs grades an got offers this year at Loughborough, Sussex, UEA and Portsmouth. He awaits results for A Levels - so who knows where he will end up.
Looking at his GCSE "academic" record, his application was "aspirational", however he went for it. He is very keen on his subject and has worked hard. He does struggle with his exams however his teachers had said that he had very good subject knowledge and understanding and he has done well in coursework! He was planning to spend the last 8 weeks working on his exam technique!
My friend is a social worker - she got into this after doing an Open Uni Diploma in Health and Social Care, then a Degree and recently completed her Masters - all whilst working. Her daughter is now training to be a Probation Officer (doing well) - having done a teaching degree.
There are plenty of courses out there that have generic entry requirements subject wise.

Is there a teacher / tutor or maybe a year head leader at school who can help you? The problem with careers advisors is that they don't know you at all - surely someone at school can help you.
Good Luck
Wow thank you so so much for this reply. It really uplifted my spirits as I've been feeling down lately. I think I've decided that i'm going to study nursing as that's where all my experience lays and I am interested in it.

I've only been at this college for about a year so I don't really know who to go to with feeling comfortable about talking about my choices.
Keet
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Guardians0111)
Wow thank you so so much for this reply. It really uplifted my spirits as I've been feeling down lately. I think I've decided that i'm going to study nursing as that's where all my experience lays and I am interested in it.

I've only been at this college for about a year so I don't really know who to go to with feeling comfortable about talking about my choices.
Hi soo glad to hear that all the advice and discussions has led you to your desired career how wonderful. Glad your feeling like you have direction wishing you all the best and every success for your journey, life and future good luck 😉 😊 👏
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (110)
39.01%
Take autumn exams (90)
31.91%
Look for a job (8)
2.84%
Consider an apprenticeship (9)
3.19%
Take a year out (47)
16.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
6.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed