help needed! Watch

s_chadwick
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
my laptop crashed 2 days ago and i have not been able to get it to work so i have had to reboot it with the windows disc. is there any way of getting back the pictures i had stored on it as i have just come back off holiday and put all the pictures and before i have had chance to do my regular back up it has crashed so i have lost them all
MGT_90
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What do you mean 'reboot [it] with the windows disc'? Did you format the hard drive?
s_chadwick
Rep:
?
i don't know the laptop wouldn't load up properly so i spoke to the manufacturers who adv to put the windows disc in and reload it it might have formatted it as well but they aren't on the laptop now
MGT_90
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know this won't make you feel any better but if you had just used a GNU/Linux live CD you could have just dragged and dropped your files to an external hard drive, flash drive or whatever even if your operating system had been killed.

If you've formatted your hard drive and your data is wiped, then you can try and rescue something using Recuva.
s_chadwick
Rep:
?
i didn't know that i'm alright with computers but not excellent i'll try recuva when i get home thanks
spikeymike
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You know if you've formatted your computer when:

1. You had to do a format/quick format on the C: partition
2. You had to enter the serial key for the operating system
3. The desktop looks different
pritnep
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Might of been a restore to factory defaults...
A_Fictitious
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
don't format it yet, you can salvage you files/pictures. If you have another PC then, its long winded, but works.

Buy a USB external hard drive (just a very small one). Load windows onto it from the other computer. Attach to laptop, use boot menu (F11?) to boot the usb drive, then from that just drag across the files from the other drive because you will be in windows.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (520)
80.62%
Leave (125)
19.38%

Watched Threads