ss.01
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m really torn between diagnostic radiography or dental therapy. Is anyone studying or qualified from either career willing to give me an insight into what the job is like? What the pros and cons are? Salary etc ...
weeemma
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ss.01)
I’m really torn between diagnostic radiography or dental therapy. Is anyone studying or qualified from either career willing to give me an insight into what the job is like? What the pros and cons are? Salary etc ...
Which one will give you more job satisfaction ??

Both pay about same starting wage when you qualified in either as far I aware of , a dental therapy works five days a week and possible Saturday morning as well whereas diagnostic radiography works variable shifts and days.
ss.01
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by weeemma)

Both pay about same starting wage when you qualified in either as far I aware of , a dental therapy works five days a week and possible Saturday morning as well whereas diagnostic radiography works variable shifts and days.
I was meant to spend a one day clinical placement at a radiology department however due to the covid situation, it got cancelled. For dental therapy I didn’t get a chance to shadow either. However I am keen on doing a healthcare career.
weeemma
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ss.01)
I was meant to spend a one day clinical placement at a radiology department however due to the covid situation, it got cancelled. For dental therapy I didn’t get a chance to shadow either. However I am keen on doing a healthcare career.
Yes everything was cancelled especially those who was in fist year placements for like of nursing,pyshiotherpy, radiography and other healthcare roles due to this covid19 situation.
But things are starting to reopen up with the NHS so you should perhaps ask about this again and hopefully get another opportunity in shadowing the radiography department staff as I think you'll be amazed how they pinpoint things from this.

I wouldn't let it go pass you ok and suggest speak to whoever arranged it for you originally and tell them you still very interested in doing radiography work and can you have that day alongside the staff .
Mxjsticm
Badges: 4
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by weeemma)

Does a radiographer work 3 days a week like a nurse does? And is the shifts 12.5 or even 13 hour shifts a day?
HumanofCyber
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hmmmm
ss.01
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Mxjsticm)
Does a radiographer work 3 days a week like a nurse does? And is the shifts 12.5 or even 13 hour shifts a day?
Im not too sure but I have heard radiographers may work shifts including unsocial hours. However dental therapy is more 9-5 I think. Are you thinking of studying radiography?
weeemma
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Mxjsticm)
Every hospital staff works different shifts patterns and most xray departments operates from about 8.30am - 5pm and others work till about 8pm , and then you'll have staff available to do any A&E emergency cases . Most only work Monday- Friday but yes some will do 7 days a week.

Your shifts can be from roughly times I said above ( 8.30 - 5 ) but you maybe 5 days a week. With weekend off.

Its a 37.5 hours week job broken up into days , evenings ,nights & weekends depending on the individual health board trust requirements.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads