Starting uni notes before term begins

Watch
Lazarevic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Does anyone recommend starting notes for next term in advance? I’m going into my next year at uni and wondering if this is a good strategy to relieve some pressure when the new academic year begins. Also I know what some of the course content will be.
oliviamkc
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Lazarevic)
Does anyone recommend starting notes for next term in advance? I’m going into my next year at uni and wondering if this is a good strategy to relieve some pressure when the new academic year begins. Also I know what some of the course content will be.
I don’t know what you study. If you have the information at hand already, then it may be useful to have a quick look over what you May study & if you need to access any resources (ie. Books that are limited in numbers).
It also may help you understand what it’s coming up & what you may need to focus on in the future.
I haven’t personally (minus during my ‘gap year” which I had to take for medical reasons & looked at Simplr concepts I may cover) , nor do I know if a and who has written notes before teaching has begun on a module but, it all depends how YOU learn and if you would find it helpful.
just ensure you don’t tire yourself out before term actually starts, because you may fall behind where you want to be because you’ve burnt out.

tdlr: it wouldn’t hurt to look over it, just make sure you don’t burn out.
Lazarevic
Rep:
?
(Original post by oliviamkc)
I don’t know what you study. If you have the information at hand already, then it may be useful to have a quick look over what you May study & if you need to access any resources (ie. Books that are limited in numbers).
It also may help you understand what it’s coming up & what you may need to focus on in the future.
I haven’t personally (minus during my ‘gap year” which I had to take for medical reasons & looked at Simplr concepts I may cover) , nor do I know if a and who has written notes before teaching has begun on a module but, it all depends how YOU learn and if you would find it helpful.
just ensure you don’t tire yourself out before term actually starts, because you may fall behind where you want to be because you’ve burnt out.

tdlr: it wouldn’t hurt to look over it, just make sure you don’t burn out.
Thanks, that’s good advice. I think I’ll make a start, I study geography and economics with a module in French which I find very content heavy so it’ll be good to get ahead
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Lazarevic)
Hey,

I would recommend getting familiar with the topics, course objectives and areas that will be covered but not in too much detail because you may not know how the lecture will cover the topics, or what areas he wants to teach and all so you might end up working hard and writing notes on areas that you may not need.
But on the other end nothing is ever useless so any knowledge you gain will be useful in some other way.

Hope this helps
Doreen-maria - Official Student Rep 😀
MrChill
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I would say may be look up a few topics if you are really bored but don't go into too much detail as summer is for relaxing. When the uni term starts, you will go into 3rd gear anyway and may regret not taking the opportunity to relax when you have had the time to. A refreshed, relax you will have more energy and motivation to ace the year.

Decision is yours.
Lazarevic
Rep:
?
(Original post by MrChill)
I would say may be look up a few topics if you are really bored but don't go into too much detail as summer is for relaxing. When the uni term starts, you will go into 3rd gear anyway and may regret not taking the opportunity to relax when you have had the time to. A refreshed, relax you will have more energy and motivation to ace the year.

Decision is yours.
Thanks for your advice! You’re right, it probably is better to take a break whilst I have the chance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (266)
56.48%
I don't have everything I need (205)
43.52%

Watched Threads