A-level equivalent Watch

limonadita
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Aloha,

in my country, the students are obliged to take only 4 A-level-equivalent subjects and I'm wondering whether to do some extra subject or leave it as it is. I'm gonna apply for IntRel course at Durham, not sure about the other choices though.
I did 2 of them last year, achieving these results:

English Lang & Lit:

• overall grade based on the oral exam: 2 (= B)
  • essay: 90%
  • test (listening + reading + grammar in use): 83.3%

Slovak Lang & Lit:

• overall grade based on the oral exam: 1 (= A)
  • essay: 85.7%
  • test: 85.9 %

I'm doing A-level-equiv from Geography and History this year. Since I'm doing very well and my marks were high last year, I'll most probably get two 1's (= A's) predicted.
The thing is, I'm considering doing Economics aswell as it suits the course I want to study. However, it's expected I'll get a grade 2 (= B) predicted even though I'm determined to get the highest mark possible.

Do you think that getting AAB predicted would do any harm to my application even though I already have another A & B? The standard requirement for IntRel at Durham is AAA. Should I take Economics? Shouldn't I?
faber niger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd say do it, if you think that you can cope with the workload and really work on getting top grades. It should be worth it -- and it'll get you used to the level of work at university!
SpiritedAway
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
if the course description doesn't say that you HAVE to do economics than i would say don't do it. try and get the As in the subjects that you are doing as you only need 3 A-levels. If i have read this right, you are doing 4 so far and want to do another?
faber niger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SpiritedAway)
if the course description doesn't say that you HAVE to do economics than i would say don't do it. try and get the As in the subjects that you are doing as you only need 3 A-levels. If i have read this right, you are doing 4 so far and want to do another?
Well, she's going to have the equivalent of 2 As and a B at A-Level, and Durham ask for AAA. That's why I recommended taking Economics also.
limonadita
Rep:
?
(Original post by SpiritedAway)
Yes, indeed. I actually think that having A from Slovak Lang isn't the most respected subject as I won't use it in UK at all But I'm worried that if I get B from Econ predicted it would harm my application. What do you think?
limonadita
Rep:
?
(Original post by jismith1989)
Well, she's going to have the equivalent of 2 As and a B at A-Level, and Durham ask for AAA. That's why I recommended taking Economics also.
I think I'll take it. Our Econ is not that harsh, well there are some difficult things but most of it is kind of easy
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?